Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: changed video card

  1. #1
    The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,180

    changed video card

    Decided to change the video card to the 6800GT OC w/256 megs on board...so far it is rock solid...kinda pricey but hey....it's only money right?....lol

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    JAPAN
    Posts
    10,941
    Quote Originally Posted by PIPER
    Decided to change the video card to the 6800GT OC w/256 megs on board...so far it is rock solid...kinda pricey but hey....it's only money right?....lol
    Does that card support SLI? would be interesting to have two..

  3. #3
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    331
    u know u could have just gottin a nromal 6800gt and then overclocked it to the 6800gtOC specs

  4. #4
    Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    3,732
    yeah boogs the PCI-E version supports sli. but spending 700bones on vidcards just to play a game seems crazy to me. But will wait for FG's review on it. imagine playing farcry with a half gig of video ram.



  5. #5
    Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blasters worm farm
    Posts
    3,416
    But will wait for FG's review on it.
    Well your going to wait a long time, I think SLI is a waste of money !

    First the games have to support it, how many do ?

    There isn't a game out that can make my 6800GT crawl, why would anyone need two cards ? how many FPS do you need ?

    The top ATI & Nvidia cards already boil the liquid out of LCD's, I don't need the stuff dripping all over my desktop.

    Maybe years down the road when SLI is main stream and cost less, but as of now it's only a high priced drug for those addicted to benchmarks.

  6. #6
    Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    4,343
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    but as of now it's only a high priced drug for those addicted to benchmarks.
    So you ain't a Junkie eh?

  7. #7
    Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blasters worm farm
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    So you ain't a Junkie eh?
    well of coarse I am, but Mexican brown (AGP) Heroin cost less than China white (SLI) Heroin and I can get high for less

  8. #8
    The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate89
    u know u could have just gottin a nromal 6800gt and then overclocked it to the 6800gtOC specs
    yep sure could have but it was there, a convenience thing don't ya know.

  9. #9
    The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Well your going to wait a long time, I think SLI is a waste of money !

    First the games have to support it, how many do ?

    There isn't a game out that can make my 6800GT crawl, why would anyone need two cards ? how many FPS do you need ?

    The top ATI & Nvidia cards already boil the liquid out of LCD's, I don't need the stuff dripping all over my desktop.

    Maybe years down the road when SLI is main stream and cost less, but as of now it's only a high priced drug for those addicted to benchmarks.
    nuff said...except to answer BB's question.....NVIDIA® SLI™ (Scalable Link Interface) technology takes advantage of the increased bandwidth of the PCI Express™ bus architecture, and features intelligent hardware and software solutions to deliver earth-shattering PC performance in a multi NVIDIA GPU solution. NVIDIA SLI solutions include the PCI Express versions of GeForce 6800 Ultra, GeForce 6800 GT, GeForce 6600 GT. GeForce 6800, and the NVIDIA nForce4 SLI MCPs.

  10. #10
    Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Software Paradise
    Posts
    3,852
    Well good to hear Piper, glad you are happy with it... last thing you need is peeps bugging about it...

    did you return the last vid card or exchange it... can it be passed down to TZ members

    --- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

  11. #11
    Silver Member joshsiao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    Does that card support SLI? would be interesting to have two..
    Well, I can only sense one big problem: Cooling. Imagine 2 top end video cards working side by side. Their heat blowing onto each other. One of them is gonna pop easily. Luckily there are some innovative nerds that build the 2 slots with 1 PCI-e 1x slot between each other. But then again, now they have to bridge the cards now with a cable instead of a jumper. So they have to go out of their way to manufacture this and thus the price is jumped.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

  12. #12
    The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Well good to hear Piper, glad you are happy with it... last thing you need is peeps bugging about it...

    did you return the last vid card or exchange it... can it be passed down to TZ members
    I did an exchange....sorry man

  13. #13
    Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Software Paradise
    Posts
    3,852
    its cool, lucky your comp shop allowed the exchange... they can be hard-ass sometimes

    --- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

  14. #14
    The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    its cool, lucky your comp shop allowed the exchange... they can be hard-ass sometimes
    In most cases they allow a return or exchange with 14 days even if the box has been opened or in this case component installed which is cool

  15. #15
    all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by PIPER
    In most cases they allow a return or exchange with 14 days even if the box has been opened or in this case component installed which is cool
    I'm not sure that many places over here allow that sort of thing. It's more a case of, once the box is open...it's yours.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •