Thread: Mcafee not working

Platinum+ Member

Mcafee not working

My Mcafee Antivirus 2005 Ver. 9.0 (licenced) has stopped working. After windows loads, it gives an error message - "Mcafee Security centre failed to intialise. Please reinstall Mcafee security centre" and another message that says Mcafee failed to initialise properly. I am unable to uninstall it from Control Program -> Add/remove programs

I tried reinstalling it but even though the installation process is uneventful, it gives the same error message. No components of Mcafee are working and I am unable to install it.

I tried using AVG but it says 'virus database failed to intialise'

I am presently using AVAST.

Can you suggest anything?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Think back....what changes did you make prior to all this ? did this just happen out of the blue ?

Did you try to uninstall in Safe Mode ?

Strange Avast works and the other two don't.

Platinum+ Member
    I tried uninstalling in safe mode - didnt work. Also tried system restore. Restored to a time when nothing was wrong with Mcafee and also when Mcafee wasnt installed but still the same problem.
    I cant remember if I changed anything else, but I remember that spybot hangs too. I'll format C: the 1st chance I get and install win 2k pro.

EDIT *****************************************************
    Strange Avast works and the other two don't.
    Could be a virus is disabling Mcafee and AVG.

If I want to format my C: drive and install win ME or win 2k pro, how could I go about it?
    I have 3 partitions, C: D: and E: I have dual booting with xp pro and win 95 smart drive (only DOS mode).

Should I just ask a technician to do it, because I havent formatted a partition myself before...?
    Last edited by tarun; February 23rd, 2005 at 16:54 PM.

Triple Platinum Member
    Could be a virus is disabling Mcafee and AVG.
    could be...there was once atrojan on my computer (that i love talking abt) which disabled norton's on screen protection...cud be the same thing wid a diff av...