Thread: CD ROM/RW not working

Platinum+ Member

CD ROM/RW not working

Since yesterday whenever I try to access a CD from the cdrom drive, it does not autoplay.
    When I double click on the CD ROM F: in My Computer, it hangs after displaying the folders in the CD, or hangs immediately. I cannot recover and am forced to reboot.
    Is it a hardware problem? Is it related to the fact that Mcafee has stopped working?

Have you tried other CD-Rom discs to see if they hang as well?Or try the disc in question in another CD-rom drive to see if it still hangs?Doing either one of those should tell you if its your media or hardware.

Platinum+ Member
    I tried the disc in question on the other computer and it worked fine. The CDs i insert into the problem CDROM computer either cause the comp to hang or take an awfully long time to open even folders and notepad files on the CD.
    Never had this problem in the past 5+ months we've had this comp.

Hmm only thing i can think of is perhaps the files on the CD are very large which could cause the CD rom to take a longer time to read the discs contents.Maybe the laser lens could be dirty as well.If eiter of those arent a problem then it could be a possibility something may be wrong with the drive.Also you may want to check for driver updates for the CD-rom which can usually be found on the manufctures site.I would wait for some replies from some of the tech Guru's that are here to post there thoughts.Good luck.