Thread: Printer Supply and service database

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Printer Supply and service database

We have a considerably amount of printers at my work.
    I made a nice spreadsheet with all the printers and supply, but now that we are getting a lot of support calls, it is getting out of hand. So I thought there probably was already something that could help me manage this, but I haven't been able to find anything.
    Since we have some people that work as IT in companies, I would like to know what solution do you use, or we could create even one for ourselves.
    I am not good at access, if not I would already have created one. But I do have an idea of what to put on it, since I have worked with the XLS for almost 2 years. It is just getting to the point that I need to spend less time typing on the spreadheet and more watching real results. I thought about using databse, so there is the posibility to run reports. How many support calls we had this month? How much toner we changed? How many were HP? and so on.

Can you provide more details on the printers?

Don't fix the spreadsheet, reduce the support calls

Seriously through, we phased out most of our stand alone printers, scanners, faxes ect... and rolled out Multi Function Copiers. The service contracts reduces IT support while saving the company money.

(Speculate: you can go from 100 HP printers down to 10 printers, 10 MFC which will make your spreadsheet more manageable)

We currently use Toshiba's estudios
    http://www.eid.toshiba.com/products/...udio3511.shtml

They breakdown more then wed like, but there leased under contact so I just call a number and a service tech is dispatched

I do IT for multiple sights so a lot of this stuff is HR/Office admin work. We consider Toner cartridges, ergonomic pads, cd-r's ect...office supplies not IT so reception handles it in most cases.

As for your database, Access is the way to go. Buy a book and get proficient; I like Microsoft Press personally.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I already advised using multifunction copiers more than once. You have no idea how much out printers brake since they are heavily used. Nonetheless it is all politics where I work, and everybody want to have their own personal HP4100 printer
    As for access, thanks for the suggestion, but I have no plans on learning from scratch about it There are a lot of other things that I have to study which I consider more important. I take care of mouse pads, toner and the works. PAPER JAM, and even put paper when is out (another )
    Last edited by Dehcbad25; February 24th, 2005 at 19:25 PM.