Thread: Newbie Network Question

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar

Newbie Network Question

When connecting 2 pcs with a cross-over network wire, do both pcs have to have a firewall installed or just the main pc that connects directly to the net?

I've heard some place that your only suppose to have a firewall on the main pc, and it covers all other pcs sharing it's internet resources.

I did set up a firewall on both pcs, but except from internet working flawlessly, both pcs wouldn't share shit!

I'm using a software firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, always been a fav of mine, and if one more person suggests i use Windows Firewall, i'll ring their bloody neck, because i was using just Windows Firewall on both pcs last night and someone managed (with ease) to put a trojan in my start up folder within the hour!

It corrupted the start menu on installation of Windows XP SP2 on my spare 2nd pc i've only just got, and now i'm talking to you on a fresh installation i just done an hour ago.

Sorry to be such a newbie, but networking is the one thing i've never been able to self teach myself from home experience, apart from reading a book or being taught, it really is one of the most impossible subjects to self teach.

I will read a book soon, but lifes a bit hectic at the mo, just need answers fast

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Here's a Micro$oft web site for starters:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx

And to answer your firewall question: You can never have too much security.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I think it's much easier if you get a router.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    WWW.WOWN.COM is another great networking resource.

from what i understand, at the most basic level, a firewall is only needed on the computer that has the direct internet connection, the computer using the net through another computer doesnt need it. But, when i set up a network with an internet connection, i like to have a router with built in hardware firewall that also has SPi or stateful packet inspection, this is very important. Netgear has an 8 port router that i like but i dont think you will need 8 ports. On the software side i like to have all computers to have a firewall and i configure the firewalls to allow file sharing. Or if i can not do that i have an anti virus program that is always scanning in the background. If you are not going to get a router then basically all you need is a firewall on the gateway computer. But, i highly suggest having firewalls and anti virus programs on all computers.

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub
    from what i understand, at the most basic level, a firewall is only needed on the computer that has the direct internet connection, the computer using the net through another computer doesnt need it. But, when i set up a network with an internet connection, i like to have a router with built in hardware firewall that also has SPi or stateful packet inspection, this is very important. Netgear has an 8 port router that i like but i dont think you will need 8 ports. On the software side i like to have all computers to have a firewall and i configure the firewalls to allow file sharing. Or if i can not do that i have an anti virus program that is always scanning in the background. If you are not going to get a router then basically all you need is a firewall on the gateway computer. But, i highly suggest having firewalls and anti virus programs on all computers.
    Thanks for your help!

Well, from what i can understand, Sygate Personal Firewall just doesn't cut it then!

Even with every setting/option ticked, this software firewall is still stopping me from sharing my files!

I will look into a router, but until i do, can anyone suggest a software firewall that is good at it's job, and actually has GOOD network support?

From the looks of things, Sygate is seriously lacking on this front and i want it replaced.

Thanks for everyones help!

you have to ahve both firewalls of to share files

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    hey gimmie in sygate to click on the option to allow network neighbor hood traffic.