Thread: Firefox 1.0.1

Titanium Member

Firefox 1.0.1

is out - http://www.mozilla.org/

# Improved stability
    # International Domain Names are now displayed as punycode.
    To show International Domain Names in Unicode, set the "network.IDN_show_punycode" preference to false.
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...abilities.html

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I couldnt find any info or links to download will wait till the main launch March 1.

edit: even the internal FF updater didnt find anything.
    Last edited by cash_site; February 25th, 2005 at 05:03 AM. Reason: FYI

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    huh? It's right there - the link I posted. Beware, must start new profile (or delete a certain file - have not figured out which yet but haven't attempted yet)

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Rather than just posting a link to the Firefox homepage,here are the direct download links.

View: Release Notes

Download: Windows | Linux | Mac OS X

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Triple Platinum Member
    thanks lk and rev...

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Nice one!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Upgrading now

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Thanks... hopefully it will fix a couple of crashes i've experienced... all good though

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I was very tired to think of the fact of upgrading to version 1.0.1 and having to reinstall my extensions and themes. however, I found this report and I decided it was critical to upgrade no matter what.

February 28, 2005
    New Firefox Vulnerability Pushes Latest Update
    By Sean Michael Kerner

If you're a Mozilla Firefox user, there's another reason for you to update to the latest version of the upstart browser released last week.

Buried in the list of Firefox security updates is a critical heap overflow issue that hit the public disclosure lists officially just today.

Security firm iDefense issued a public advisory today titled, "Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Browser Out Of Memory Heap Corruption Design Error." The vulnerability could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code and/or crash the browser.

According to iDefense's security disclosure timeline, the vulnerability was reported to the Mozilla Foundation on Feb. 9, and Mozilla responded that day. "Coordinated" public disclosure was supposed to occur today.

The vulnerability involves the remote exploitation of a "design error" that could potentially allow a malicious remote miscreant to trigger a heap (define) corruption.

According to the iDefense advisory, the vulnerability specifically exists in string-handling functions. The flaw involves the way those functions handle memory, which could potentially allow memory to be overwritten in a fixed location if, during string growth, memory reallocation fails.

Read more here,
    http://www.internetnews.com/security...le.php/3486196

That said I uninstalled firefox using add/remove programs.

I delete the mozilla folder in the programs directory and installed a fresh version of firefox 1.0.1

to my suprise, all my bookmarks were intact, the theme I used was the current and displayed fine. I had some if not all my extensions working and i was still logged in to Techzonez when I went here!

Well done Mozilla team!

Note -
    If you are experiencing a crash while typing in the Firefox address bar, you can fix the problem by uninstalling Firefox 1.0.1, completely removing the Firefox program folder (probably C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox on Windows or /home/<user>/firefox-installer/ on Linux), and reinstalling Firefox 1.0.1.

To avoid this crash and other problems, do not install a new version using the installer into the same folder as an older zipped installation.
    ------------------------------------------------------------