Thread: You wanna tough one? No one has solved this yet.

You wanna tough one? No one has solved this yet.

lo guys
    I just joined here today because i am stumped with a problem i cannot solve. Others have tried and failed, lets see how good you are
    Please dont read unless your pretty fed up and have some time to kill and can read it sloooowly, this is looooong.

In XP pro i had a geforce 3 it works fine etc no probs at all, a doddle to install. I uninstalled this card to replace it with a Geforce 4, XP will not install these cards so you gotta do it yourself.
    After uninstalling the old card and rebooting, XP detects the change (not the card) and asks for drivers, i duly point it to the cd (correct place) and get an error pertaining to something like, 'the drivers you are trying to install do not match the hard ware on your machine, no probs i think, i'll just switch the display adapter to standard pci display adapter and update its drivers that way. trouble is there is no 'generic' display adapter listed. It just shows a number of Nvidia cards that will not let me install over it the drivers for the G4.

I have tried this through add hardware wizard (error) device manager (error)
    The one thing that stands out in this is when the geforce 4 is in, there is an entry in device manager, its called (and this is *exactly* how its written )

Video controller (VGA compatible)

and this entry has the yellow ? on it.

If i try to install a driver for this entry i get an error, if i put the geforce 3 in, that entry in device manager is gone and i can install the drivers for the G3.
    This happens on a clean install and on 2 different machines, there is nothing wrong with the G4, im using it now on a win2k machine and have used it on a win 98 machine.
    I HAVE tried to install the card using an .exe (self extracting driver) and get an error saying the same things as above or the drivers are wrong etc.

I know how to install drivers, i've been doing it for years, i may not have explained things to clearly,(i hope you guys see where i'm coming from here) but i really need some ideas as to why this is happening and what can be done.
    BTW, this also happens when i try to install an ati radeon 8500, it seems like if the card isnt in the XP list of cards it knows it will through the error in device manager and will not let me install.

Bit of a ramble but cheers for any help you guys can offer.

Axel

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    What is the maker of your geforce4? I installed my Pixelview Geforce4 ti4200 without a hitch. Did you try uninstalling the previous card in safemode to make sure you get all the old drivers out? Have you tried installing the new card on a clean, recently reformatted partition of XP?
    Just some ideas.
    BB

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    A few of things to try.

Remove any entries,if there are any,from the add/remove list related to the graphics drivers.Then reboot.

Check in the bios that assign or allocate IRQ for VGA is enabled.

Go to Windows Update,and install the latest available digitally signed drivers for your card.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Okay I to have just moved onto a Geforce 4 card after having a Geforce 3 card. And the process I used was I first uninstalled the card from my device manager, and not just uninstalled the drivers from add/remove. So then the system prompted me to reboot, so I chose to shut down my computer and then inserted my Geforce 4 card. After I had booted back into windows I was then asked to install the drivers by the "Found new Hardware" display. I chose not to install the drivers that came with my card, as I knew that I would have to update those drivers anyway. Using the Hardware Update Wizard, I chose the "(Advance) Install from a list or specific location" option. And then redirected using the Browse to Include this location in the search. And then installed the drivers, being the Det 29.40 drivers. Simply rebooted again and then all was set, obviously I had to reconfigure some display settings and then install the additional software that came with my card.

What Geforce 4 card are you trying to install, brand/model etc and with what drivers and O/S-Pro or Home
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Try this:

Get the Detonator driver 29.42 (WHQL) from nVidia.
    Remove your currently detonator driver from "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel. There should be an entry there if the drivers on your system is a nVidia detonator driver.

No need to reboot yet. Just install the new 29.42 driver from here. Then reboot.

Good luck.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    try this
    install your card
    when you get the yelow exclamation

run regedit
    delete everything in this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

reboot and you should be good to go
    install your geforce4 drivers

remember to backup your registry before trying anything

good luck

egghead
    Last edited by egghead; July 22nd, 2002 at 06:58 AM.

Thx,
    Guys, i tried all the above (pretty basic and obvious) thx for trying to help though.

Egghead, i will give that a try m8, fingers crossed

Axel

got a fix, should work.

1) reformat HDD.
    2) install the hardware (geforce4)
    3) load windows XP onto your HDD
    4) let it autodetect the hardware
    5) if it works, install the latest detonator from nvidia.
    6) enjoy your new card

That should work, again as a last resort.
    BB

BUt again I ask, what is the maker of your geforce4?
    Thanks

booger
    sorry m8, its the Creative labs G4 ti4400, absolutely no probs with it in 2k or 98 just want it in XP

Btw, i have already done the clean install bit, xp wont find a graphics card but gives me the Video controller yellow question mark, It should just let me install the drivers on that but it wont.

Still hav'nt had the chance to do the reg hak so i'll let you guys know the score when thats done.

Axel

http://uk.europe.creative.com/suppor...ula.asp?id=390

I think you will find the creative specific drivers there, in case you haven't already. I am sure this card works in windows XP, and I am sure you can't install it... sometimes XP is quirky...
    Have you contacted Creative's tech support concerning this? Have you tried a replacement geforce4 card? Do you have the means to borrow a friend's? I know it works in w2k and 98, but maybe the card you have doesnt work in XP for some strange reason, try to obtain a replacement and see if you get anywhere with it.
    One other thing, do you have a mate who will let you try to install it in their PC with XP installed on it? It's worth a shot..
    YOu have me stumped thus far, unless the registry patch works...
    Good luck
    BB

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    any luck?

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar
    i duly point it to the cd (correct place) and get an error pertaining to something like, 'the drivers you are trying to install do not match the hard ware on your machine,
    Have you tryed ignoring this message and just install it anyway.

Ta

Richard