Thread: windows update problem

Triple Platinum Member

windows update problem

i go to the windows update site...and after a redirection im led to a page that shows this..and does nothing more:

Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...

Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click Install or Yes to install the software.
    nothing happens..i get no warning watsoever...ne idea why???

I assume you are trying to get there through Internet Explorer and not some other browser. Possibly active X is disabled or your previously installed active x for updates has become corrupted.

Look in: ie properties/general tab/temporary internet files/settings/view objects or look in c:/Windows/downloaded program files.

look for file(s) like Update Class, WUWebcontrol Class. You can right click each one for the properties and look at the dependancies. Make a restore point. Send copies to my docs for safekeeping just in case. Delete the one(s) relating to windows update. Now when you go back to windows update you should get the box about installing what's needed to scan your computer.

If nothing happens or you didn't find those object files to begin with, then there may be security settings blocking active x installs.

Have you checked your firewall settings? It could be blocking the update services too.

Triple Platinum Member
    thanks mommabear...will check and update...