Thread: 32-bit to 64 bit?

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar

32-bit to 64 bit?

If Longhorn is released as 64-bit only, will I need a new pc or can I upgrade my existing hardware from 32-bit to 64? And would that be the chip, the motherboard, or what?

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You would need a new MB & CPU.

So is there any financial point to upgrading current hardware, or will I need a new laptop?

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Piaqt,if your current pc is a laptop then you would need a new laptop to upgrade to 64 bit hardware.If you have a tower or other desktop pc then as FG said a motherboard and cpu and maybe more depending on the type of ram and power supply you have in that machine.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I would use the old rule of thumb....if it ain't broke, don't fix it until u get to a point where you need a new puter, then go for the 64 bit architecture...this will require new mb, cpu, and more than likely new ram....so while your going through the effort put in a larger power supply....I opted for a 500 watt this time around as opposed to the 350 that was in the system.

To me the word "need" when discussing an upgrade is a big red "stop sign". However, the word "upgrade" is a big "yellow light". Consider that a lot of software has to be coded for 64 bit to take full advantage of the 64 bit architecture and the related expense.

Now, to me the word Pia is a big "green light". I volunteer to come over and apply the necessary modifications

Quote Originally Posted by MSNwar
    Now, to me the word Pia is a big "green light". I volunteer to come over and apply the necessary modifications
    Among other things.
    To all who posted:

love, piaqt

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Also, not wanting to miss out on all this action, Longhorn isnt slated for main release till late 2006/2007... so plenty of years to save for 64bit and dual core laptops

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

True. btw: dual core=32bit + 64bit on same hardware?

love, piaqt

Quote Originally Posted by piaqt
    True. btw: dual core=32bit + 64bit on same hardware?
    Not necessarily... dual core just means they have two identical cpu cores in the one package... now it might be pure 32bit core or 64bit(which supports 32bit)

initial setup might be normal 32 bit, then next gen will be 32bit with additional 64 bit instructions, then later will be pure 64bit.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I understand core in terms of apples. What is it in terms of computers?

love, piaqt

A CPU is called a package (eg, Intel 775 Pin or AMD 939 pin), but a package is made up of the Core(sometimes called Chip) and then everything else such as external pins and metal and wires to plug into motherboard.

The Core is where all the electronics are that make up the processor... so... these days we only have 1 Core per package, soon we'll have 2 Core per package.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks.

love, piaqt

no probs, but wait till Intel releases its virtualization technology... i'm confused with that... it allows you to run different OS on separate cores simulanteously

Hehe...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---