Thread: Tries to connect

Gold Member

Tries to connect

I am trying to clean up a friends computer. She had 11 infected files, 195 spyware files that Ad-Aware caught, 145 spyware files that Spybot S & D caught, and about 45 invalid registry items that Easy Cleaner found. I have eliminated the infected files, and removed everything that Ad-Aware and Spybot found. I have done full scans with AVG and at Housecalls, everything is clean. The only anoying problem is once in a while I get the dial-up screen to dial into the internet, when I just have the computer running. Is there something else still wrong, or is it just something that she needs to tolerate ? I have also un-enabled AVG from trying to automatically update, I thought that might be the problem. She is running Windows 98. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Has she got Windows Auto Updates enabled ??

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Gold Member
    Reverend--No, Windows Automatic Update is not enabled. I think I found it. In Outlook Express there is a setting to "Check mail" every --- minutes etc. There is also a setting to "Connect even if off line" Do you think this was the problem ? Thanks, Mike

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike13
    I think I found it. In Outlook Express there is a setting to "Check mail" every --- minutes etc. There is also a setting to "Connect even if off line" Do you think this was the problem ?
    That could be it.Uncheck the "check mail..." option and remember to click apply.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi mike13,

two programs you are missing in your scan is spysweeper and trojan hunter.

both offer free 30 day trials and will clean any infections they find. and they should find more things. they have on many computers i have done.

cheers!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Gold Member
    Thank egghead, will give that a try also.