Thread: crossed speeds between mobo and memory

crossed speeds between mobo and memory

evening all. my friend just got the word he has some funds left from the tax return that he can use to upgrade the pc. he is wanting to put together a combo of:

ATI Radeon 9550 Video Card. 256 MB AGP 8X 2D/3DW/ T.V. out
    Asus A7V8X-X Athlon XP socket A KT400 motherboard
    AMD AThlon XP 2800+ Processor. 2.08 GhZ 512 KB 333 MHz

now, what he is wanting to pair with this is three sticks of memory:

Corsair 512 MB pc3200 DDR 400 DIMM

Will this memory work with this mobo and processor? will it just be another example of overkill on speed (especially one that can't be capitalized upon) for the sake of saving $15, or is this memory flat out not going to work with this other hardware? Any help would be appreciated. and if it happens to not work at all, will he be able to use this memory:

Corsair 512 MB pc2700 DDR 333 DIMM

Tx in advance, ~s

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.
    - Albert Einstein
    Last edited by santino; February 28th, 2005 at 03:51 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Corsair 512 MB pc3200 DDR should work fine

He wants to use 3 sticks of 512mb ram ?

yea, he had wanted to go with three 1 gig sticks but found he was running out of scratch and decided the best place to cut back was in the mem, so, he's going with three half a gig sticks. speaking of hw, will he get the full value of the 400 mhz speed if he changes the mobo to the Asus A7N8X-X, which has a 400 mhz fsb? all the while, the cpu is a 2800+, running only 333 mhz. should he just change everything to the 333 mhz speed since the cpu isn't going to change? or just oc the cpu to meet the mobo and mem speeds? tx for the post. ~s

The difference between being in a relationship and being in prison is that, in prison, they let you play softball on the weekends.
    - Bobby Kelton

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    He can just OC the CPU, more than likely the CPU is lock so don't know how high he can raise the FSB ? he'll get close to 400. If its unlocked then its easy.

Why does he want 1.5gig of ram ?

well, he wanted to fill all three slots, and the max on the board is 3 gig, but he couldn't afford the 1 gig sticks, so, he's settling for half the mem. do you think there would be any problem, like the sys not utilizing the third stick, only using two? i know sometimes a system won't see but paired sets of mem, only two or four sticks, not three. do you think this could happen? ~s

oh, btw, the mobo is the 400 mhz fsb one, the asus a7n8x-x. also, i asked him to see what kind of p/s he had, and all he could read was the voltage and amperage. now, it's been a while, but, isn't the formula: volts x amps = watts? b/c if it is, then 115v x 3.5a = 400w and if that's true, then he should have more than enuf power for any games he wants to run...true??? ~s

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
    - C. S. Lewis
    Last edited by santino; February 28th, 2005 at 22:20 PM.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    There's probably no need to fill all 3 slots right now. A gig is heaps. Leave a slot or two for future expansion IMO.

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    I am certainly convinced that if you plan to play the latest games, 1gig of ram is a MUST.

I'm playing DOOM 3 at the moment, and i suffer incredible slow downs during intense close combat, and i put this down to the ram, and not so much my graphics card.

I'm not so surprized by this, after a fresh install of XP HOME SP2, using Task Manager, before installing any other applicate, Windows XP now takes up at least 160mb of ram at start up!

So running background applications, and then running a game, 512mb is bound to run out fast!

I'm on 512mb PC3200 ram, plan to add another 512mb sometime soon to improve on this, i keep losing a lot of health and this is not good

well, the parts all arrived, and i was able to get the baby up and running. now i need help in the oc dept. there are so many variables when i go into cmos that i don't know which to adjust to get the most outta this beast. anyone that is familiar with this process and wants to assist a fellow zoner in need, please send a note. i can be reached on aim using s/n jarodmarcellus for speedier assistance. i'll be more than happy to repost the work here so that everyone else can benefit from the knowledge provided.

oh, by the by, there was a bit of disturbing info on the asus website's faqs page that got me to wondering if the amount of ram is going to be overkill, and just a waste of money, or will the system actually benefit from the amt i've got here. this is the post and reply:

Q. As I know, A7N8X-X can support up to PC3200. However, I found one note in user's manual:
    "PC3200 maximum to 2 banks only and PC2700 maximum to 4 banks only"
    Could you explain more in detail?

A. Simply to say, one single sided DIMM means one bank, one double sided DIMM means two banks, two single sided DIMMs means two banks, etc. Hence, e.g. you can install one pcs double sided PC3200 or two pcs single sided PC3200.

my question is, where my buddy bought three sticks of 512 double sided ram, pc3200, will the one stick be supported? and the other two not? or will the other two be recognized? or should he have just gotten one stick of 1 gig double sided ram and leave the other two slots empty? thanks to any and all that reply. ~s

I haven't failed, I've found ten thousand ways that don't work.
    - Ben Franklin
    Last edited by santino; March 22nd, 2005 at 00:15 AM.