Thread: Thinking of seting up a network (need help with Ideas)

Thinking of seting up a network (need help with Ideas)

ok so ive got 3 PCs:
    mine - used of heavy downoads and gaming
    dads - light internet usage
    and a spare pc - light internet usage

now im on ADSL 512
    id like all 3 PCs to be able to use the internet

now whats the best way to go about this?

im thinking maybe wireless networking em all? but I dont know much about wireless, is it any good?

also if I do net work them all, sould mine be the server? or would it be better to make the spare a server

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Well the best bet would be to get a router (wired or wireless). It's the easiest way to share your internet. Wireless is convenient since you wont have to worry about laying cables between the walls like I did...but for me, that was half the fun! Wireless prices have come down heaps, so cost is less of an issue. Speed is still not quite up with wired networks however for most users, this shouldn't be an issue.

With regards to your server question, what do you intend to do with it? Is it to store your music and movies?

go with a router, one with an Spi firewall, routers alow all of your computers to access the net. If you have a switch you will be unable to do so. As for wireless, dont do it. Especially if you use your computer to play games on the net or download. That will make you lag all the game servers. If all of your computers are pcs not laptops then and they are in the immediate vicinity go with wired. If one of your computers is more than 100ft away it is ok because running that much cord and hiding it would be a pain if you dont want to deal with it. But, if you do decide wireless get a router with 4 Rj-45 ports so you can plug a wired computer into it if you need to. The other problem with wireless networks is people stealing your internet to get it free, especially if you have wifi.

As for a server it does highly depend on what you want to do with it.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    You wont need an actual server or even install Server OS (this would break your gaming ability )

These guys have given u great info... Router with built in Modem and wireless would be your ultimate all-in-one solution, but if you have a modem already then a normal wireless router would be good.

Is your current modem Ethernet or only USB?? You will need Ethernet. Plug ethernet cable from Modem into Router WAN port, then you can plug Ethernet cable from each PC into router, or use wireless to connect PC to router... and ALL Done. everyone has Internet, and there is no need for a server to be ALWAYS on

When you get a router, you can post the model number, then we can give exact help on setting it up.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

"When you get a router, you can post the model number, then we can give exact help on setting it up."
    good idea crash_site

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    You wont need an actual server or even install Server OS (this would break your gaming ability )

These guys have given u great info... Router with built in Modem and wireless would be your ultimate all-in-one solution, but if you have a modem already then a normal wireless router would be good.

Is your current modem Ethernet or only USB?? You will need Ethernet. Plug ethernet cable from Modem into Router WAN port, then you can plug Ethernet cable from each PC into router, or use wireless to connect PC to router... and ALL Done. everyone has Internet, and there is no need for a server to be ALWAYS on

When you get a router, you can post the model number, then we can give exact help on setting it up.
    annoyingly ive only got a asdl modem with USB

but Ive decided to woop out my old BNC cable and network cards and just network mine and my dads then put internet connection sharing on

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chewEboy

but Ive decided to woop out my old BNC cable and network cards and just network mine and my dads then put internet connection sharing on
    thats all well and good, but now your comp will always need to be on

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub
    The other problem with wireless networks is people stealing your internet to get it free, especially if you have wifi.
    I dont think that this is as much of an issue now since the advent of WEP.

ya thats true but to make a wireless network truely secure you have to be really hands on. That includes shelling out the cash for any encryption programs

Quote Originally Posted by chewEboy
    That'll work just fine, but be careful with the firewalling. The PC that is conected to the Internet must be firewalled but the others usually don't need to be, you can test the resultant firewall set up by using an online security scanner like the one at http://GRC.com. File and Printer sharing should be allowed on the LAN side but not the WAN side. If you get connectivity problems on the attached PCs it will almost definitely be something to do with firewalling issues. Don't connect to the Broadband until after the firewall is enabled or you will get infected up within 1 minute. Once you have become rich get a Draytek Vigor wireless router, they are the best and also include WPA as well as WEP, a VPN server and a good quality hard firewall with DOS protection and if needed content filtering.