Thread: Engineers devise invisibility shield

Platinum+ Member

Engineers devise invisibility shield

Engineers devise invisibility shield - taken from another forum
    http://www.nature.com/news/2005/0502.../050228-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by the person who wrote the article
    Electron effects could stop objects from scattering light.
    The idea of a cloak of invisibility that hides objects from view has long been confined to the more improbable reaches of science fiction. But electronic engineers have now come up with a way to make one.

Types of invisibility shielding have been developed before, but these mostly use the chameleon principle: a screen is coloured to match its background, so that the screened object is camouflaged.

But the invisibility shield proposed by Alý and Engheta in a preprint on arXiv1 is more ambitious than this.The key to the concept is to reduce light scattering. We see objects because light bounces off them; if this scattering of light could be prevented (and if the objects didn't absorb any light) they would become invisible. Alý and Engheta's plasmonic screen suppresses scattering by resonating in tune with the illuminating light.
    Last edited by tarun; March 3rd, 2005 at 08:47 AM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I was just going to make that point....
    There have been many research projects on "Cloaking" technologies using the chameleon principle. VERY Simple view: a camera on the back of head, and flexible LCD on front shirt displaying back image - I can see right through you!!

They are already trying to use this technology in the bottom of jets and helicopters, so you can "look through the floor"

Now, trying to absorb the light is pretty interesting... but I would think that it wouldnt become invisible, more just very very black?? As you wouldnt be able to see through it, so if you stand infront of wall, it would look like that section of the wall just doesnt exist?? So shoot at it

One day we'll get there

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Sounds interesting. Would love to see it in action. Imagine all the parents losing their kids due to Harry Potter copy-cat type incidents!

Platinum+ Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Now, trying to absorb the light is pretty interesting... but I would think that it wouldnt become invisible, more just very very black?? As you wouldnt be able to see through it, so if you stand infront of wall, it would look like that section of the wall just doesnt exist?? So shoot at it
    One day we'll get there
    They say
    Alý and Engheta's plasmonic screen suppresses scattering by resonating in tune with the illuminating light.

Plasmons are waves of electron density, caused when the electrons on the surface of a metallic material move in rhythm. The researchers say that a shell of plasmonic material will scatter light negligibly if the light's frequency is close to the resonant frequency of the plasmons. The scattering from the shell effectively cancels out the scattering from the object.
    So I guess theyve made the light pass almost through (negligably scattering) as if there wasnt a particle in the 1st place.
    The downside being that its possible only for TINY particles and
    Perhaps even more of a drawback, he points out, is the fact that a particular shield only works for one specific wavelength of light.

An object might be made invisible in red light, say, but not in multiwavelength daylight.

And crucially, the effect only works when the wavelength of the light being scattered is roughly the same size as the object. So shielding from visible light would be possible only for microscopic objects; larger ones could be hidden only to long-wavelength radiation such as microwaves. This means that the technology could not be used to hide people or vehicles from human vision.
    Sad but true

Well there you go... so this must work with the similar principle of noise-cancelling headphones, where they take ambient noise, and emit the opposite phase, thus cancelling out...

This is groundbreaking stuff, even though it make not 100% be the solution we want RIGHT now... but 10's of years of research will be spawned... cant wait for some chrome paint like StarWars Spaceship

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i saw this in a James Bond movie...

I thought this technology was copy protected....

Some movie studio is gonna win big now that it's out in the open

------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    i saw this in a James Bond movie...

I thought this technology was copy protected....

Some movie studio is gonna win big now that it's out in the open

That's right, the invisible DB9 I love the bond series, wanna get the 20Box set...

I wish I could drive a CGI car... lol

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---