Thread: screensaver password on resume

Titanium Member

screensaver password on resume

I was not sure how to word this. Consequently, I have not found a solution. When pc goes into screensaver and on resume there is a password dialog box but if PC is on all night then in morning on resume all I see is a blank screen (colored) no dialog - no way to remedy other than hitting the reset button. Anyone have any fix?

Titanium Member
    I want the password resume feature - just when overnight or many hours, the dialog does not appear anymore when resuming - I have to use reset button to get back in.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Do you have it set to allow the system to Hibernate or go into a level of Sleep Mode? If so all of your hardware also has to support that function fully to allow the Power Management features of Windows to work properly. If all peripherals do not support the same Power Management features then what you are describing can happen.

Titanium Member
    I thought that was for notebooks (batteries) I have emule running so I figure it's not sleeping. I have everything set to "always on" - so if I use the screensaver which is it, hibernate or sleep (or does it matter as long as it's one or the other) - thanks

**edit - it won't let me

Last edited by lynchknot; March 3rd, 2005 at 23:57 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Just uncheck "Enable Hibernation", and set it to turn off the monitor after however long you want.

Check through the other power settings as well - turn of hard disk after - blah, sleep mode after - blah-di-blah. Each setting can have an undesirable effect of not allowing your PC to wake back up. Try each one on it's own to isolate the problem, if the PC had actually gone into Hibernate it would appear to be powered off.

is it possible to get "on resume, display welcome screen" if all i can seem to make it say is "on resume, password protect" ? ive been trying for a while to get it to go to the welcome screen, ive tried everything i can think of, but its not working...any help would be great....thanks

i think that works only when there are multiple accounts on one machine.
    AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF | 2 x PowMax dual fan 550Watt | Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI | GeIL 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory | 2 x EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup | Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm

thanks