Thread: Constant Reboot

Constant Reboot

I first noticed a problem with my system when MS Office began screwing up. It was always trying to edit the Normal Template file and Outlook quit downloading my mail. Norton 2004 quit working as well, so I installed Symantec 2002 to scan for whatever was messing with my computer. After a few searches with updated definition files nothing came up. So I downloaded Norton 2005 to see if that would solve my problem and it wouldn’t even install. So I tried 2003 and it installed. After I rebooted the computer after the install is when all the fun began. The computer booted up all the way and then shut itself down and went through the system check and repeated the same process of booting up and shutting down. Finally the computer had enough and quit detecting my OS, XP corp. So I left it off for a few days and then turned it back on only to receive this error after it booted up:

SymEvent.sys - Address F5A84C10 base at F5A7300, Datestamp 41216F4F
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical Dump complete

I am not sure where to go from here, but I want to avoid a reformat if at all possible.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Very strange behavior indeed. Are you able to try and start windows in Safe Mode? As computer starts press F8 and select Safe Mode, then when loaded, do a full virus scan and also Adware/Spyware Scan... read Egg's Thread SPYWARE REMOVAL

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Nah, its not spyware.

Symevent is the Symantec Event based driver which basically controls all of its software. I had a similar issue and thus my defection to McAfee.

My recommendation would to be the following. Boot into safe mode and run the liveupdate manually. There was an issue with Norton 2003 where it would cause a Stop error on boot. If the liveupdate does not resolve the problem, then you may need to boot into selective startup and do not start the symevent.sys file. Then uninstall and reinstall Norton.

BTW...why couldnt you install 2005?

I really think it's some worm or something that I have. I installed the same version just fine on my grandmother's computer, but it wouldnt install on mine. It's really wierd because like I said before that MS Office started screwing up as did both of my virus porgrams, Norton 2004 as well as Symantec 2002. I could try to do the selective startup, but another thing I was thinking about doing was just setting my main hard drive, thet one that is messing up, to slave and just plugging another one in and setting that as master. Then going in and burnning off all of my files from the screwy one. I don't think that my safemode is working right because it won't boot up. It starts to boot then stops after it's loaded the a32bus.sys or soemthing of the sort. I dont remeber exactly what it was because it was late last night. I'll give the selective start up a shot, and I hope it works. Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep ya updated.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I agree with Stripe, see if you can update it in safe mode, if you can't, you will have to remove Norton. Problem, you can't remove it in safe mode. You have to use an utility called NoNav.
    I have a similar problem, but with the Symantec Antivirus, and it creates a Kernel cache, or panick error (can't remember right now, but I know it is 0x00007)
    It is caused with Symantec antivirus, and the intel HDD drives. Symantec recomends updating the HDD drivers, but in my case it didn't do anything. Very annoying since I already have 4 computers that don't really work with SAV, and all are the same model (see the trend?)
    I did a quick check, and the SymEvent.sys seems to create lots of problems, dating back to 1999

Alright, here's the deal. It finally got up in safe mode and I tried to use the live update but it didn't work, same error. So I just renamed the sysevent.sys file so it wouldnt recognize it and It's up and running but with a crapload of errors. Not to mention that I can't get it to uninstall. I'll look for the NoNav thing and try that. Thanks for the help guys.

Wouldnt happen to have a link for NoNav would ya?

sorry, it is actually in an ftp server which changes password hourly (FTP from Symantec) You have to have gold support to call them up. You can email Symatec with the issue. It might take a couple of days to get an answer.
    Check the startup (msconfig) for files from symantec and see if you can stop them from loading, then try to remove

I got most of 'em to stop, but it keeps giving me an error saying that it's been tampered with and tries to reboot it. I just figure that i'll get all of my files off of it and format the POS . The best solution.

Format somehow always solves the problem
    I haven't format my PC for about 3 years now thought, but I do have some weird problems any now and then