Thread: Can't Input Any Registry Keys Into Registry

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar

Unhappy Can't Input Any Registry Keys Into Registry

Still getting the same old problem i've suffered for years with Windows 98, i have no clue why this happens but it never fixes it's self and it usually doesn't get in my way, but i want to install MSN Messenger v5.0 and can't without the patch

http://gimie.netfirms.com/Attactment...dows%2098!.jpg

Anyone know what's going on, or have any advice on how to fix it?

Many thanks!

i'm not sure, but i think this has to do with the version of the registry in windows 98 and the one used in the registry file you are trying to open...

if you can, can you open the .reg file with notepad, and paste the contents here? i want to see if it is what i think it is

Blackwar

Originally posted by Blackwar
    i'm not sure, but i think this has to do with the version of the registry in windows 98 and the one used in the registry file you are trying to open...

if you can, can you open the .reg file with notepad, and paste the contents here? i want to see if it is what i think it is

Blackwar
    Aha of course!

Everyone's running Windows XP now, and since that everyone is the people that make the latest cracks/patchs, they won't be thinking about MSN Messenger, they will be thinking about Windows Messenger!

What a shame

I'll have to manually edit the registry, but that ain't gonna help any one my computer newbie friends that would like to have a piece of the latest software themselves

Anyone know if there's a "MSN Messenger Pack" and a "Windows Messenger Pack"?

I downloaded 2 packs like that before from neowin.net with the release v4.7

Btw - Here's what was in the .reg file:

ÿþW i n d o w s R e g i s t r y E d i t o r V e r s i o n 5 . 0 0

[ H K E Y _ C U R R E N T _ U S E R \ S o f t w a r e \ M i c r o s o f t \ M S N M e s s e n g e r ]

" T e s t E c h o S e r v e r " = " m e s s e n g e r . h o t m a i l . c o m ; 6 4 . 4 . 1 2 . 9 9 : 1 8 6 2 "

" S e r v e r " = " m e s s e n g e r . h o t m a i l . c o m ; 6 4 . 4 . 1 2 . 9 9 : 1 8 6 2 "

Guess version v5.0 is Windows XP

Thanks for your assistance blackwar bro
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; July 20th, 2002 at 14:45 PM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Gimie
    try to manually change the version number back to 4... it might work. then again it might not. First create a copy use the copy to do the change save it, then try to manually enter the registry change, right click and merge or just double click it.
    Hope that helps,
    BB

Originally posted by Big Booger
    Gimie
    try to manually change the version number back to 4... it might work. then again it might not. First create a copy use the copy to do the change save it, then try to manually enter the registry change, right click and merge or just double click it.
    Hope that helps,
    BB
    Nope, didn't work, but nice idea tho!

I don't think i have the correct tools for the job, i will just have to find someone who does

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    one other thing, check to see if that registry string is the same in windows 98 as in windows XP:
    [ H K E Y _ C U R R E N T _ U S E R \ S o f t w a r e \ M i c r o s o f t \ M S N M e s s e n g e r ]

you might have to alter the location... who knows. But yeah look around I am sure someone else is going through the same stuff.
    BB

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    W i n d o w s R e g i s t r y E d i t o r V e r s i o n 5 . 0 0
    should be
    Regedit 4

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

exactly as piaqt said..

open the file, and replace it with this :
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Miicrosoft\MSNMessenger]

"TestEchoServer"="messenger.hotmail.com;64.4.12.99:1862"

"Server"="messenger.hotmail.com;64.4.12.99:1862"
    then save, and try running it, should work

btw, there were spaces between every character in the one you posted, it isn't supposed to be like that so i fixed that aswell

Hope i helped,
    Blackwar