Thread: Microsoft Networking Problem

Microsoft Networking Problem

Hi, I'm trying to install a Network between 3-4 computers in my house and I'm using the Microsoft Networking System. The problem I have arises when I get to the screen where it asks you to present a disk. When you go through the properties folder of Network Neighborhood, and you add a Client for Microsoft Networks, then add a Client, then choose the Microsoft Client, it asks you for a disk to install some software for Windows 98 I believe. I do not know what this file is or its extension and I am wondering if there is anyway to find that out or if anyone out there knows what I am talking about. Thanks for your help. If more information is needed, please let me know.
    Last edited by catch20who; March 5th, 2005 at 16:07 PM. Reason: Picture

are all of the computers you are using Win98? Also are you using the network setup wizard? If you can post a snap shot of what you see that might make more sense.

it should not be asking for a disk. All you need are the network card drivers installed. Then go into local area network properties. You should see four things "client for microsoft networks' , "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" , "QoS Packet Scheduler" , and "Internet Protocol TCP/IP." If all these things are good, then all you need to do is plug all the computers into the switch or router you are using. restart the computers and they should all see each other.
    Last edited by beelzebub; March 5th, 2005 at 21:36 PM.

It's asking for the Windows 98 disk, on preinstalled systems (like dell, HP, Compaq) you can usually find a copy ofthe disk contents at 'c:\windows\options\cabs', 'c:\win98' or 'c:\win9x'. If you have the Windows 98 disk put it in the CD drive, it needs to load the networking components that you have asked it to install. Windows networking uses a modular system where different levels of the process use different bits of software. In this case I think it's a load of VXDs (virtual device drivers).
    You won't see QOS in win98.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Actually, I have gotten around the problem of the disk. It was asking for a Network Setup Disk, which I made through the XP Network Setup process. However, there is now another problem. The first time I turned on one of my computers and went to Network Neighborhood, I saw that it had recognized both the computer I was currently using and another that I had previously setup. Then I tried to see if the other computer would reciprocate the recognition. It did not. From that point on, neither computer recognized the other and I am not sure what happened. Any ideas?

Start over and don't use a network setup disk it's all smoke and mirrors. Everything you need to know is here - http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?