Thread: help with old dvd/cdrom!!!!

help with old dvd/cdrom!!!!

hello all i am new here but i must say it is incredable the information that is provided on most cases. but here is the poblem. i am haveing trouble trying to get my samsung sd-612 dvd/cdrom to play a dvd, it plays all other discs, just doesnt even rocognize the dvds. i have looked for drive an found a few , none have worked. i got this player with an old dell i had, but i purchased new laster year, i decided to keep the current cd-drives i had with my dell. my computer sees that my disk drive is a dvd player, an i still can not get on to play. i have interplay an powerdvd on the comp as well. i would really appreiciate any help thanks a billion ......

Platinum+ Member
    Did you replace the CDrom drive on ur old Dell with a samsung DVD player? or did i misunderstand.

Maybe you should confirm that ur drive plays DVDs with whom u bought it from. Maybe its a case of regions. if the dvd-player is old then the default region mightve gotten changed.

DVD REGIONS

well, i got this samsung with my old dell comp. i moved the drive to my new comp.

Drive E:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-612
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    Status OK
    Transfer Rate Not Available
    SCSI Target ID 1
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMSAMSUNG_DVD-ROM_SD-612__________________0.5_____\5&22DA6F84&0&0.1.0
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 3/31/2003 7:00 AM)

that is the info i find on my comp about my dvd drive....

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    In device manager,find your drive and right click for a menu,then click uninstall,reboot a have windows load the driver again.Are you using windows XP?If not you may need to find a drivers for your operating system.Also the firmware may need to be flashed in.

Update;I read some print on your dvd under similar situation where you have moved the drive to another computer.I found a driver that may work.This driver works with Win2000 and reported to work with WinXP.Driver
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

well, i tried the file u recomended, an i still have nothing , i unistalled an reinstalled the hardware,an still nothing it registers it as a dvd plaer, but doesnt recognize any dvds, cound this be a codecs problem???? i have the k-lite codecs pak installed, this is driving me nuts, lol, thanks again for the help guys