Thread: Local VNC on VPN Machine

Local VNC on VPN Machine

I have a home machine which I use to connect to my company network using a VPN Client.

I'd like to remotely control this machine on my home network so I don't have to be sitting at it all the time but I can't get VNC to connect to this machine.

Locally it is 192.168.0.6 subnet mask 255.255.255.0. When I ping this IP address it fails! I'm assuming this is because VPN on the machine somehow overrides the assigned DHCP address given by my router.

Is there a way to access this machine on my network via VNC?

Cheers

Ian

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Are you trying to remotely use your Home PC to connect to your VPN... where is this computer you want to sit at... at home or at work?

Actually depends how you actually connect your home pc to VPN company... do you use Router or separate dialup line or direct broadband connection? Does your home pc have 2 network cards?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

From home I'm sitting online on a machine which is configured to use my company network via VPN.

This is currently the way I access my company. What I want to do is control this VPN client configured machine from any other location, whether on my home network or from elsewhere via VNC.

My home network is on a Router. VPN works correctly. This way I can monitor my VPN client machine from anywhere. Even from my iPAQ!

At the moment my VPN Client machine uses a WiFi card but appears to get my companies IP and subnet from the Network card.

Cheers

Ian

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hmmm Ok, When your PC is connected to the VPN, are you able to ping the home PC from your other home PCs (iPAQ) using your internal IP addressing??

A thought just popped into my head, does windows XP, have a blocking mechanism, that once you are connected to a secure VPN, you cannot access the PC from other PCs??

Can you post ipconfig /all results, when you are connected to VPN and when you are not??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Is VNC allowed through your home PC firewall (TCP 5900) incoming? It has to be allowed to act as a server and I would expect the Windows default firewall not to allow that. Create a rule in the properties of the NIC. Do you use special VPN software for the work network or Windows inbuilt VPN connection?
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?