Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avast! let me down :(

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar

Avast! let me down :(

Just updating the forum on my on-going test of Avast! Pro v4.6:

As of today, i'm officially reinstalling NAV 2005 as my primary active virus shield, Avast! like many other anti-viruses has failed me, a lot of people will now be , but let me explain my reasons.

I've been trial testing Avast! Pro v4.5/4.6 for about a month now, because i want to find an anti-virus that will take up the least system resources possible.

Avast! certainly fills that bill, and is a nice program and has an excellent scanner, but that's all it has going for it in my opinion, last night, after finishing a game of doom, my computer kindly informed me i had 0mb left on my c:\ partition.

I knew this was wrong, so straight away, i feared a virus, i thought, "not again".

Anyway, looked about, checking file sizes of all folders and files, found a temp folder in the c:\ parent drive, with a program.exe i've never seen before, as soon as i opened the folder, Avast! kindly decided to tell me the file was a virus, wonderful, i knew that before the shield did!

Anyway, Avast! removed the file without fuss, but this did not solve the HD space problem, so i decided to run a full virus scan.

After about 5 seconds into the scan, the scanner froze, so i restarted the comptuer in safe mode and tried again, again, the scanner froze.

I checked to see what file/folder it was getting stuck on, and noticed it was the DR WATSON folder in Documents and settings.

My mind clicked, i had noticed that DR WATSON had been running on my pc numorus times in the last week, taking up to 80mb of ram, and i had no idea why, so i kept shutting it down, as far as i'm aware, DR WATSON is just a Microsoft diagnoistics program, so i just thought Windows was playing up like normal, so i thought nothing of it.

Anyway, to the point, i went into the DR WATSON folder, and clear as day, there was my problem, a DRWATSON.LOG, size 6.2gb.

So straight away i done the job Avast! was suppose to do, and deleted the file.

Well, the scanner worked now, and i left it scanning over night, the report found not one, but 3 trojans on my pc, i've took a screen shot of each one, but they are at home.

My installation of Windows still isn't fixed, it's f**ked now, i have to format and reinstall when i get home , what a load of bollocks.

Now the reason for this post except to vent some anger and frustration, are was losing the virus war?

Are no anti-viruses good enough to catch or stop most viruses/trojans anymore or is Avast! just crap?

It's just, every time i stray away from NAV, i always end up with a virus, isn't there any REAL competition out there to compete with NAV?

For now, i've de-actived the Avast! real time shield, and reinstalled NAV to replace it.

I still plan to keep Avast! as a scanner, since it does seem to do a very good job of catching the viruses when they are already on the system

But it appears, i'm back to the drawing board again, stuck with NAV again, going to try Mcfee next, already tried AVG Home & NOD32, both of them failed to stop viruses/trojans getting onto my pc, maybe one day hopefully i'll find a AV that has the perfect balance of realibility and speed.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    so it sounds like the folder was being used to store the screen captures and keylogging from 1 of the trojans.

it is a great idea to format and do a fresh install

in addition to your virus scanner you should try trojan hunter
    www.trojanhunter.com

it was able to detect and clean trojans running which my tested antivirus scanners never knew
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Nice info eggman,

Is this program a REAL TIME SCANNER?

That's what i want, NAV is good at trojans, but no other AV seems to handle them well at all!

If real time trojan scanners are now available, is it now the case that in today's world we need a dedicated real time trojan scanner to work along side a virus scanner now?

It does appear to me that a awful lot more work is being put into trojans these days, and viruses are now yesterdays news.

I don't know, with anti-viruses concentrating on viruses, and now even spyware these days, it appears to me that they can't cope with the varied content being thrown at them.

Maybe it would be a good idea if they split up the work load instead of trying to offer an all-in-one solution, because it never works, having experts in every field is what we need, and not just an expert in viruses, but a learner in trojans, etc.
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; March 7th, 2005 at 15:22 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Anyway, to the point, i went into the DR WATSON folder, and clear as day, there was my problem, a DRWATSON.LOG, size 6.2gb.

So straight away i done the job Avast! was suppose to do, and deleted the file.
    I fail to see where its Avast! job to delete a " DRWATSON.LOG" please explain...

Well, the scanner worked now, and i left it scanning over night, the report found not one, but 3 trojans on my pc, i've took a screen shot of each one, but they are at home.
    So whats the problem ? Avast found the trojans and why do you tie the trojans in with the DocWatson problem ? Seems as though Avast! did its job and if you read the Avast! help files you would know about ways to set Avast to find virus/trojans way before you open a folder.

Are no anti-viruses good enough to catch or stop most viruses/trojans anymore or is Avast! just crap?
    Depends on definitions, even though most AV's are constantly updating definitions for trojans they aren't trojan hunters. McAfee and Kaspersky have the most trojan definitions, yet even the high risk users still have dedicated trojan scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by GimieGimieGimie
    Nice info eggman,

Is this program a REAL TIME SCANNER?
    It will notify you and stop a trojan in it's tracks!

I rigged a test machine once and used online scanners and although some scanners found the trojan installer file they could not see the trojan running and I watched all this remotly

Trojan Hunter detected and removed some crazy stuff and it will also alert you to suspiciousopen ports.

use it in addition to your antivirus

free 30 day trial

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    I fail to see where its Avast! job to delete a " DRWATSON.LOG" please explain...
    It was obviously part of the trojan's work code, isn't Avast! suppose to protect us from trojans?

So whats the problem ? Avast found the trojans and why do you tie the trojans in with the DocWatson problem ? Seems as though Avast! did its job and if you read the Avast! help files you would know about ways to set Avast to find virus/trojans way before you open a folder.
    I answered this in my last quote, i will check the helps file though

Depends on definitions, even though most AV's are constantly updating definitions for trojans they aren't trojan hunters. McAfee and Kaspersky have the most trojan definitions, yet even the high risk users still have dedicated trojan scanners.
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    It will notify you and stop a trojan in it's tracks!

I rigged a test machine once and used online scanners and although some scanners found the trojan installer file they could not see the trojan running and I watched all this remotly

Trojan Hunter detected and removed some crazy stuff and it will also alert you to suspiciousopen ports.

use it in addition to your antivirus

free 30 day trial
    Thanks for the info, i'll install it straight away!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Great information Gimmie et all, I think peeps will appreciate this and help make better decisions...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Great information Gimmie et all, I think peeps will appreciate this and help make better decisions...
    Thanks crash, i hope this information helps people to find a better grasp of what's needed, security wise today, installed on their modern pcs, i mean, i didn't have any idea trojan scanners have now become active scanners in their own right, the last time i downloaded a trojan scanner was 2 years ago as an experiment, and at the time, (i tried a few), none of them was active real time scanners.

And now they are, how things are advancing in a negitive way is simply amazing, it appears to me like i have already stated in a previous post, trojans seem to be the latest thing, getting more complex and deadly by the day, so much so, that i now believe it's time for the modern day pc to have an active trojan scanner, along side the now widely accepted home name "anti-virus", at least in my case, from now on i'm going to run a real time trojan scanner, to feel safe again.

It's a shame i come online to the forum to report negitive comments about a widely loved piece of software, but that's just me, i just tell it as it is, i'm certainly not the type of person that defends a piece of software blindly, simply because of it's hard earned work in other areas, so what, that Avast! has a simple resource friendly interface, with cool sound effects when updating?

If the software fails to do what i feel it's advertised to do, then i'll expose it's flaws, regardless of how much i appreciate it's fine work in other area's.

I'm someone who believes that if someone is charging money for their product, that we as the consumers shouldn't work for the product, the product should work for US and thus it is our duty, to present the facts, both negitive and positive to help in achieving the perfect product that everyone deserves.

I'm just as positive about software, as i am negitive, but it seems to me that people get far more emotional over negitive comments, and in most cases tend to think irrationally while posting their post, i refer to fastgame, unfortunately, in this case, avast simply failed to do it's job, and that job was to protect my pc from viruses/trojans, which i believe (correct me if i'm wrong), is what it is advertised for sale as it's purpose.

My avast! was fully updated, with the latest updates and virus definitions, i fully understand that no anti-virus can ever be 100% full proof, and on some occasions, viruses will simply have the better coding and defeat the anti product, and i agree, there is no one to blame but society in these cases.

But the fact that the trojan successfully haulted avasts! virus scanner in it's tracks every time, even in safe mode, is simply disturbing/unacceptable, not to mention that it wasn't just one security threat that got past avast! scanners, but three!

I really dispise people that blindly defend a product or blindly attack a product simple on the basis of it's reputation, which i see EVERYDAY all over the net by the way.

I understand if someone comes out of the blue with a badly worded, badly explained explaination, but this isn't the case, the facts i've put forward are facts and the whole case happened exactly how i explained it, facts are facts, and negitive facts, as well as positive facts, MUST be concidered, regardless of whether we have experienced them/not experienced them, like or approve of them or not.

On a brighter note, i will be sending an e-mail off to avast! regarding this matter, and i hope they update their wonderful software to improve it's service, because i really DO love the software, i'm keeping avast! as a virus scanner, but not as a resident shield, i'm really annoyed that i keep having to go back to my copy of Nortons AV every time i get a virus/trojan while trial testing another product, because i'm trial testing for a reason, i think it's important to note, that while trial testing all the previous anti-virus, each time they failed to product my pc, it was due to a TROJAN attack, and not a virus, thus fueling my theory on how well anti-viruses can be expected to deal with trojans in today's age.

I still want a better all round anti-virus/trojan which leaves a very small footprint and i hope i find this software one day, but now i'm starting to believe that to have this goal, is to simple have 2 dedicated products running at the same time, so maybe i'll do just that, run avast! and this new trojan scanner together and see how i go
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; March 8th, 2005 at 11:39 AM.

I'm just as positive about software, as i am negitive, but it seems to me that people get far more emotional over negitive comments, and in most cases tend to think irrationally while posting their post, i refer to fastgame, unfortunately, in this case, avast simply failed to do it's job, and that job was to protect my pc from viruses/trojans, which i believe (correct me if i'm wrong), is what it is advertised for sale as it's purpose.
    WoW where did this come from nowhere in my post did I use bold, CAPS or !!!! "think irrationally while posting their post" so it was irrational for me to ask how an AV that found trojans failled to do its job ? Was it irrational for me to state the FACT! that AV's aren't suppose to delete "DR WATSON" files even though you think they should. Was it irrational in suggesting "McAfee and Kaspersky and trojan scanner" and in doing so was it in "blindly defend a product" (Avast) to the end ?

It's a shame i come online to the forum to report negitive comments about a widely loved piece of software, but that's just me, i just tell it as it is, i'm certainly not the type of person that defends a piece of software blindly, simply because of it's hard earned work in other areas, so what, that Avast! has a simple resource friendly interface, with cool sound effects when updating?

If the software fails to do what i feel it's advertised to do, then i'll expose it's flaws, regardless of how much i appreciate it's fine work in other area's.
    And just what is it you've exposed ? "already tried AVG Home & NOD32, both of them failed to stop viruses/trojans getting onto my pc" and now add Avast to the list....I suggest you go to one of the major security forums, places where people are far more experienced than any of us here @TZ(sans Curio) in security issues. Try to bash AVG, NOD32, Avast and see how far you get, I'm sure someone will question your computing habits.

I understand if someone comes out of the blue with a badly worded, badly explained explaination, but this isn't the case, the facts i've put forward are facts and the whole case happened exactly how i explained it, facts are facts, and negitive facts, as well as positive facts, MUST be concidered, regardless of whether we have experienced them/not experienced them, like or approve of them or not.
    Where are the facts ? you still have yet to post the name of any virus/trojan/worm

A Google search reveals many things that could be the problem. In most cases it's spyware/trojan/worm/virus related. In some of the cases the offender disables AV's and security software. In fact in that search there's cases where Nortons AV was disabled !

A person can have all the security software in the World, that doesn't in any way diminish the fact that safe computing doesn't need to be practiced.

It's up to each individual too adjust thing's accordingly with their risk factor. That includes understanding what their software does & doesnt do. Reading help files on any software goes along way in preventing problems.

IMO anyone who fails to adjust their security needs with their risk factor/habits doesnt need to look far for an answer to the problem, it's no further away than a quick glance in the mirror.

Now Mr Gimie lets get one fact straight ! I'm a beta tester for Avast not a security expert. All my testing is done on the user end of things. That means I live throught all the bugs, crashes and infestations in doing so and I sure don't go though this "blindly ". When I run accross problems they're turned in so they can be fixed. I don't quit, don't give up in the hopes that people like yourself might enjoy a decent product. Right from the start I wanted you to give me info so I could maybe get to the root of the problem, sorry that right from the start you thought I was irrational

I hope no one mistakes this post, I don't want any confusion. I think I've used bold, CAPS and !!! in all the appropriate places.

BYE!!

Titanium Member
    no av will catch 100% - 100% of the time, which is why I use more than one AV.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Ask not what your AV can do for you, but what you can do for your AV!

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Me as well. I use both Avast and Nod32 and have stayed infection free...

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Perfect example today http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=69915
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Me as well. I use both Avast and Nod32 and have stayed infection free...
    Looks like a nice combo

I use Avast as main AV and Kaspersky as backup scanner, good thing Avast has definitions for the virus in the link, Kaspersky didn't

you guys are turning into viruses....

j/k

we love you guys!

Trojans and viruses are detected only by a sliver of code. This is only part of the actual virus,

Please be aware that I can spend $100 and buy a version of a trojan that no anti-virus or scanner can detect.

I would like the info on the names and how where they got in.