Thread: Help installing old hard drive into another computer!!!

Help installing old hard drive into another computer!!!

I have my old hard drive, but no longer have the tower in which it was originally installed.

The hard drive is a Seagate, model ST38421A, and has WIN2K installed on it.

I would like to access this hard drive and get my files off of it, but not sure about how to go about this exactly.

I'm borrowing another computer, right now, that I'd like to try to put this old hard drive into!!!

This computer already has a hard drive installed w/ WIN98.

When I have put the old hard drive in this computer it won't boot, it gets to the WIN2K screen and then restarts.

My question is: How do I get this hard drive to work in this computer, w/out losing any of my information?????

You can handle this with a boot disk. If you don't have one you can make one by going to "add remove software" in the control panel.

Once you have the boot disk, you can boot to DOS prompt in the A: drive. You can then format the new HD with the command "format x /s". The "x" should be substituted with the drive designation for the drive you want to format. Some caution is required. You don't want to format the wrong disk.

If you are unsure, you can disconnect the primary disk before connection the disk you want to format. Now you can accomplish the steps outlined in the preceeding paragraph.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Silver Member
    uh he said how can he access the hd without losing his data not formatting....make sure u have the jumpers set right primary slave ect.....and if u can put the 2 drives on seperate ide channels

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Once the old HD is the slave,I'm not sure you can access an NTFS drive with a FAT32 master.Or is it the other way around? Anyway Nate has the right idea with making your drive the slave and not trying to boot into it with a different box.An XP box might be more hardware compatible also.Let us know how you made out.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Thanks guys, I forgot the jumper change.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition