Thread: PCAnywhere and LogMeIn

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

PCAnywhere and LogMeIn

I found today a program called LogMein which is free
    https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=products_free
    I was wondering if any TZ member has heard of it. Personally I never heard of it, even thought I use remote access a lot.
    Second question, for PCAnywhere, what is the recomended authentication method?
    We have the newest version, and it has a long array of options, like PCAnywhere authentication, Windows, Windows LDAP, Unix LDAP and so on. We have a domain with 2003 native mode. Right now we are using Windows, but I am wondering what does it really send, and how. I wouldn't want passwords to go thru the phone line unprotected

I know some of you guys use remote access, so please at least document your experience on it. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    For remote access, I mainly use Remote Desktop Connection built-in with XP... i have used TightVNC too... but these use simple username/password authentication... not tied into server AD or windows authentication etc...

So besides that, I'm not sure if anything is helpful

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I just heard horror stories about PCAnywhere. The user wants it easy access, so we use the Windows accout, but I don't know how secure is that. I am afraid it might compromise the Windows account. Seems I will have to research it

Never used LOGINMYPC

For PcAnywhere I used the KISS method. Keep it simple... ya know the rest

Authenication type is set to PcAnywhere
    Created a New Caller and named it Administrator
    Made the administrator caller a superuser
    Created a difficult password
    Created a shortcut under the Start Menu of All Users and called it "Help Desk"
    Desktop sharing remains off until necessary at which time the user is instructioned to "Click the help desk icon"... they seem to find it easy
    After the session is over I always restart the computer as part of procedure.
    Last edited by Hawkers; March 15th, 2005 at 19:32 PM. Reason: edit: accidently clicked finish during midpost

Remote Access I always use a VPN with RDP or VNC through it.
    Dial in - eeeeew!
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

That was a good tip hawker. I think I could use that for Remote Asistance inside the LAN (or somethign similar)
    My PCAnywhere issue is for a remote dialer. He runs inventory, and other stuff on the weekend, and it really doesn't make sense to drive to work for a couple of hours.
    For remote access myself I use same as Curio, except I never connect to my own PC since I always leave monitorin programs open, and RDP would log me off , so I have a *secret* PC that I connect to, and from there I do my work
    LogMeIn sends you statistics back (free version) but it might not be of concern for some users. I don't think I will use it in corporate, but I didn't want to try something with Spyware either