Thread: XP activation

XP activation

My existing computer is running Windows 98and I am using NTL Broadband (128). If I buy a new computer with XP Home, do I have to activate it by installing a T/100 card direct to NTL. Am I correct in asuming that I cannot network the XP computer to the Windows 98 computer and activate via the network?

You could certainly network your old computer to xp and activate it via networking, but xp would have to be set as the host machine. As the information sent to M$ is sent over a secure link it also sends details as to the configuration of you system. I wouldnt think that installing a T/100 card direct to NTL, would be necessary to achieve this.
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

XP activation

Thanks for your prompt reply. Please bear with me because I am still a bit puzzled. Having read what I wrote, I think it is largely because I have not made myself clear. Hopefully the following is clearer:
    My existing machine (Win 98) has a broadband connection. If I buy another computer with XP requiring activation and it has no broad band connection, will it allow me, before activation, to network it to my old computer and then activate it through the network?

It should be fine to network prior to activating XP, as long as it has not passed the 30 days grace period. Once you have logged into XP, you will receive notification as to whether or not you want to activate XP and how. And if you choose not to it will keep reminding you to activate it, until you do so just make sure that you do not go past the activation period
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar

Re: XP activation

Originally posted by A.J.Everett
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Please bear with me because I am still a bit puzzled. Having read what I wrote, I think it is largely because I have not made myself clear. Hopefully the following is clearer:
    My existing machine (Win 98) has a broadband connection. If I buy another computer with XP requiring activation and it has no broad band connection, will it allow me, before activation, to network it to my old computer and then activate it through the network?
    Setting up a network and Internet Connection Sharing should be fine. You will be able to activate windows after you have made a connection. Zero is correct!

XP activation

All is clear. Many thanks.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    A.J,is the new machine one of those package deals direct from the manufacturer (PC world,Time,etc),with XP pre-installed?
    If it is,XP should already be activated by them.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========