Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Export file from media player 10 to Excel

Export file from media player 10 to Excel

I keep reading that it is possible to export a file from media player to excel. I was able to do this with media player 9, but can't from media player 10. In the instructions it tells you to go to FILE and select EXPORT PLAYLIST TO FILE. There is NO 'EXPORT PLAYLIST TO FILE' in media player 10. What am I doing wrong? Is this possible with media player 10?
    Randy Veach
    Believe in your dreams.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    You need to install the Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP which includes the playlist importer/exporter powertoy.

Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP! Jam-packed with utilities, PowerToys, visualizations, skins, sound effects, and much more, the free Windows Media Bonus Pack installs on your Windows XP-based PC and lets your personality and creativity shine. Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE Sample a feature of Plus! for Windows XP and double the amount of music you can store on your PC by converting your MP3 files quickly and easily to Windows Media Audio (WMA). PowerToys for Windows Media Player for Windows XP (v8) Includes a dozen new and updated PowerToys for Windows Media Player for Windows XP, designed to give you more control of your music with the MPXP Tray Control, Playlist Import to Excel utility, Media Library Metadata

Download: Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP

Playlist Import to Excel Powertoy
    Playlist Import to Excel PowerToy offers an easy way to import audio and video playlists (with the .asx file name extension) from Microsoft Windows Media Player into a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel 2002 or later.

After the playlist is imported to Excel, you can sort and retrieve information for each item in the list, including the name, artist, genre, and bit rate of each file, using the AutoFilter and Sort features in Excel. You can also export the file to HTML to quickly create a Web page containing a catalog of all the audio and video items in the playlist. Additionally, you can chart and graph statistical information about items in the playlist and use the information in other ODBC-compliant programs (such as Microsoft Access).

Using this tool is a two-part process. First, you must prepare the playlist by exporting it from Windows Media Player. Then, you use Playlist Import to Excel PowerToy to import the playlist into Excel.

To export a playlist from Windows Media Player:
    In Windows Media Player, click Media Library, and then expand My Playlists to display the playlists that you have created.
    Click the playlist you want to export.
    On the File menu, click Export Playlist to File.
    Select the folder where you want to save the file.
    In File name, enter a name for the file, and then click Save.

To import playlist into Excel:
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP, and then click Import Playlist to Excel.
    Depending on your security settings, you may get a Security Warning dialog box. If so, click Enable Macros to continue.
    Follow the instructions in the Windows Media Playlist Import Tool dialog box. (If you have already exported the playlist, you can skip step 3 in the Import Tool dialog box.)

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Exporting Media Player 10 to Excel

Reverend,
    The instructions you gave me do NOT work. I've loaded out the "Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP", and I tried using "Playlist Import to Excel", but I ran into a wall where it asks that "On the File menu, click Export Playlist to File". As I stated in my original e-mail, under File menu I do not have a "Export playlist to File" option. I really would like some help on this.
    Thanks in advance.
    Randy Veach
    Believe in your dreams.

Triple Platinum Member
    try searching the forum theres already been a mini-discussion on this.
    ---

in case ur unable to find the thread im referring to, try downloading the bonus winter pack for media player 9+ from the ms site. that has an integrated software that allows you to import ur palylist to MS Excel.

Thanks for the tip. I'm new on this forum, and I really need this information (export a file from media player to excel). I would have thought Reverend would have made the suggestion as opposed to giving me information that I had already tried and posted.
    Randy Veach
    Believe in your dreams.

Triple Platinum Member
    so did you find it? i mean a solution...if u ask me the winter bonus pack works best for wat u want to do..

Quote Originally Posted by randyveach
    I would have thought Reverend would have made the suggestion as opposed to giving me information that I had already tried and posted.
    i suggested you install the "Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP which includes the playlist importer/exporter powertoy."

You did not say in your first post that you had already tried the bonus pack.

You have to access the importer via the Bonus Pack,not via the Media Player.

Start > Programs > Windows Media Bonus Pack For Windows XP > Windows Media Player Playlist Import To Excel Wizard.
    Last edited by Reverend; March 16th, 2005 at 19:27 PM.

Please Help

Reverend,
    I must be very thick, as I still can't seem to make this work. Please let me tell you what I'm doing, and where I seem to run into a wall, and then you tell me what I'm doing wrong.

1. I call up the program by running "Start > Programs > Windows Media Bonus Pack For Windows XP > Windows Media Player Playlist Import To Excel Wizard".
    2. I get a drop down menu called "Windows Media Playlist Import To Excel Wizard".
    3. It has 4 steps in it. The first one I select is "Import New Playlist Data".
    4. The second one is where I start to get lost. This is where you get a button to "click here to learn how" (I click this button and follow the instructions).
    a. I open windows media player.
    b. I click on media library (mine just says "LIBRARY" across the top).
    c. I elect to export a custom playlist, so I call up the playlist that I want to export by clicking on it.
    d. This is where I get lost. On step five is says; On the 'File' menu, click 'Export playlist to file'. When I click on the 'File' menu, I don't have an 'Export playlist to file' option.
    E. Nothing works from this point on.

I don't mean to irritate you, I am doing a sock hop for Deep Wood Elementary School on April 7th, and they asked for a list of songs. I'm starting to run out of time. I guess I could manually list the songs, but I was hoping there was another way.

Thanks, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Randy Veach
    Believe in your dreams.

OK follow these instructions:

Open Windows Media Player and click the Library tab.

Click the button above the List pane (located on the right hand side),and from the drop down menu select Edit Playlist,then select the Playlist items you want.

Note: You can also drag items from the Details pane (middle pane) into the List pane (right hand pane).

To save any changes to the playlist, click the List button again and select Save Playlist As. In the Save As window that opens choose a name for your playlist and add the .asx extension. (e.g Music.asx). Click Save.

Now go to Start > Programs > Windows Media Bonus Pack For Windows XP > Windows Media Player Playlist Import To Excel Wizard.

Step 1: Import New Playlist Data
    Step 2: ~ you can skip this ~
    Step 3: Click the browse button and navigate to the playlist file you saved earlier.
    Step 4: Hit the "Click Here To Continue" button.

This will open Excel and import your playlist.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Miss read the initial post, sorry.
    Last edited by cash_site; March 16th, 2005 at 23:04 PM. Reason: deleted info.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Reverend,
    Randy here. I think I've figured it out (at least I've created four lists). I don't think I will need your help on this one. Thanks for driving me to think a little.
    Randy Veach
    Believe in your dreams.

more playlist export problems

Dear Reverend, I hope you can help me. I have tried everything and am still having problems. I just want to export a WMP10 playlist to Excel. I dowloaded the bonus pack some time ago and have tried using the 'playlist import to excel wizard', but it would never work. I get this message

'The windows media playlist import tool has encountered an error. 429 activex component can’t create object'

when I browse and select a playlist to import. I used to be able to right click on a playlist file and select send to excel, but all of a sudden that is no longer an option. Excel does not appear on the send to list.

Can you please either tell me how to fix the active x error or how I can send it to excel again. either one will do, both would be great. I have spent hours on this and am so frustrated. I wish microsoft would make WMP more user friendly. I don't see why you can't just copy from wmp and paste just the text into a excel doc. I did a google search and several programs like 'error doctor' claim to fix active x errors. would this fix my active x error plroblem. Please help. I don't know what else to do. Thanks, shawn

Try this:

Go to run Start > Run.

Type RegSvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll" and hit enter.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar

Thumbs up

u da man Rev.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Reverend solves the case of the Missing Playlist exports. Nice one!

A similar thread can be found at the link below:

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...xport+playlist
    Last edited by Big Booger; July 16th, 2005 at 13:05 PM.