Thread: The Top 100 Gadgets of All Time

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

The Top 100 Gadgets of All Time

Whether they're strapped to our belts, sitting on our desks, or jammed in an overstuffed closet, we absolutely love our gadgets.

So it wasn't exactly easy coming up with the definitive list of the 100 best gadgets ever unleashed. In the weeks we spent debating the entries, tempers were flared, fingers were pointed, chairs were smashed over heads, and feelings were hurt. But we emerged, like Moses from the mountain, with the world's most authoritative ranking of the best gadgets of all time.

But let's lay some ground rules before we get started. What defines a "gadget" anyway?

* It has to have electronic and/or moving parts of some kind. Scissors count, but the knife does not.
    * It has to be a self-contained apparatus that can be used on its own, not a subset of another device. The flashlight counts; the light bulb does not. The notebook counts, but the hard drive doesn't.
    * It has to be smaller than the proverbial bread box. This is the most flexible of the categories, since gadgets have gotten inexorably smaller over time. But in general we included only items that were potentially mobile: The Dustbuster counts; the vacuum cleaner doesn't.

In the end, we tried to get to the heart of what really makes a gadget a gadget.

More Information:
    Discover the Top 100 Gadgets of All Time

Source:
    Lockergnome

This news is a bit dated but still interesting. I think it might have been posted on the front page at TZ but I couldn't find the article. Enjoy the read. Lots of gadgets to see.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    ahh....the one who dies with the most toys....WINS!!....wah ha ha

Platinum+ Member
    amazing article.

what the.......
    98. Pez Dispenser, 1927
    71. Tyco Toys Tickle Me Elmo, 1996

Triple Platinum Member
    2. ZENITH SPACE COMMAND TV REMOTE CONTROL, 1956
    Remember having to get up off the couch to change the channel on the TV by hand? Of course you don't, thanks to Robert Adler's stunning breakthrough, the wireless remote control....
    this one deserved the no.2 spot..gotta love the remote control

Titanium Member
    what - no ben wa?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Only for you LK...

Titanium Member
    I thought perhaps for the cow or donkey.