Thread: Remote viewing through hub - Is it Possible?

Remote viewing through hub - Is it Possible?

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, first time here!

Its just a general question really, I have win-spy software that allows me to monitor remotely a pc. This works great, however the home pc in question is now connected through a simple hub and I cant view now. Win-spy gives me the two IP addresses, one for the PC and one for the Hub, but I cant view the PC!

My question before I give up looking.. Is there ANY software or trojan that can pass through such a simple setup to allow remote viewing? Just a simple yes or no or point me in right direction.

many thanks

MarkyMark

Sounds like a router not a hub, a hub wouldn't have an ip. Perhaps you would tell us what make/model it is?
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Would this help...

Thanks for reply. The hub purchased has this spec.:
    Product Information LN725

16 Port 10BaseT + BNC + AUI Desktop
    Rack mountable or free standing.
    IEEE 802.3 compliant for the 10BASE-T, 10BASE2, and 10BASE5 specifications.
    Uplink connection for network expansion via the RJ-45, BNC, or AUI connectors.
    Automatic partitioning function to isolate network failure.
    MDI-X/MDI switch for linkinghubs in a daisy-chain manner.
    Internal universal switching power supply.
    Low profile Aluminum chassis for desktop/wall-mount installation.
    Model no: WS-HI16L
    FCC Class A compliance.
    -----------------
    Now as you said hubs do not have IP addresses, then maybe the setup is as follows: my user has a home desktop PC connected to ISP, the hub connects to PC and then connects to the Laptop (which I used to monitor without problems). Could the 2 IP addresses Win-Spy returns be the IP for the desktop and the Laptop???
    Can I pass thru these??

Winspy is a network monitoring tool so it shoild work through a hub or switch. How were the computers connected before?

laptop connected

I think the laptop was connected directly to the ISP thru broadband. And i was able to monitor live no problems.
    As soon as a hub was purchased i could no longer get to the laptop... Win Spy just listed 2 IP addresses which when i tried to connect to either one an error message came up saying it couldn't get thru routers or firewall hardware. But I know 100% that it is not a router or Firewall hardware, this is a home setup.

thanks for your continued interest!

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    if you are using only a hub it would appear that windows may have installed a gateway.

There are programs and trojans that use "reverse connections" using Static IP Notification "sin" to bypass routers and firewalls

(basically, the monitored pc finds a way out and finds your computer through predefined info ex. your ip and port number)

here is a simple tutorial that will help you understand how it kinda works

Free and easy remote access (through firewalls and NAT routers) with VNC reverse connections
    http://www.tinyapps.org/vnc/
    Last edited by egghead; March 14th, 2005 at 06:42 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I meant how were the computers connected to each other before?

how were they connected?

There was not hub. When the laptop was used, the NTL cable modem lead was plugged into it - this gave me instant access remotely. When the Desktop pc was used, the lead was pulled out and plugged in to the PC.

As I said, since the hub was introduced, win spy shows 2 IP numbers, a 192... and an 81.... not sure where they come from, my guess is that the 81... IP is the laptop. Not sure how or where the 192.. number comes from!

As for the connection now, not sure how the hub has been connected?? Maybe the cable modem is plugged in to desktop pc, a lead from that to the hub, then a crossover to the laptop. Or maybe the modem plugs directly into the hub and feeds both desktop and laptop???

Thanks guys for your expert advise, I'll probably have to give up trying to remotely view the laptop.. but you know how things can really bug you when you cant solve a problem!!!!

a-ha
    the first pc is being used as a router, the 81. number is WAN side and the 192.number is LAN side. I am guessing the PC has the cable modem in with ICS and the firewall enabled. Sorry but I got the impression b4 that the pcs were at the same location (LAN wise) - they are not are they. ICS uses NAPT and the pc shows as 192.x.x.x - these ips are non-routable via the internet.