Thread: MS Moviemaker

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy MS Moviemaker

I have 2 problems with my Movie Maker. When I open existing files, it says checking project files, which seems to take about 7-8 minutes to load up a 14 minute movie (file size is 2meg). Is this normal to take this long to load up or is it something to do with my system specifications (650MHZ processer 256 Mb rams).

My 2nd problem is that I don't have a CD rewrier or recorder on my laptop so I have been saving the file to my external harddrive and trying to burn or write it to another laptop. This helps to create the file, but when I open the file on the CD the pictures and audio are not on the file and it says it can not find the files and it shows the file location.

Can anyone help?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I'd recommend a new software package:
    http://www.poweroid-video-editing.co...g_software.asp

But first, have you updated movie maker? Have you defragged your hard drive lately?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...viemaker2.mspx

Your system barely meets the minimum requirement for Moviemaker. On that page it says, a 600mhz processor and at least 128Mb of ram... while they recommend 1.5ghz processor and 256Mb of ram. And as it is a laptop, it's not as powerful as a desktop system. Just something to think about.

What other tasks are you running in the background while you are opening the files?

Is the processor a Pentium or Celery? If it is a Celery(on) then that may have something to do with it.

As for moving the files, does the file work fine on the laptop without the CD recorder? If it is fine, and only messes up when you move it, perhaps the problem is the method you are using to move it or burn?

I actually hate movie maker.. it's good for the most basic of videos.. but in essence it's not that great.

I totally recommend wholeheartedly a better program:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...01&Langue_ID=2

Pinnacle Studio Version 9 comes with a trial. I like it so well that I almost use it exclusively.

unfortunately, it has a high requirement:

* Intel Pentium or AMD Athlon 800 MHz or higher (1.5 GHz or Higher recommended)
    * 256 MB RAM (512 MB recommended)
    * Windows 98SE, "Millennium", 2000, XP (Windows XP recommended. MicroMV support requires Windows XP))
    * DirectX 9 or higher compatible graphics card (ATI Radeon or Nvidia Geforce 2 or higher recommended)
    * DirectX 9 or higher compatible sound card
    * 500 MB of disk space to install software
    * CD-ROM drive
    * Optional
    CD burner for creating Video CDs or Super Video CDs
    - DVD burner drive for creating DVDs
    - DVD drive is necessary if you wish to install the bonus DVD containing
    tutorial, electronic manual and bonus content (free version on CD-ROMs may
    be ordered on Pinnacle e-store - shipping cost not included)
    - ProLogic compatible audio system for preview of surround sound mixes
    (Creative Labs Audigy recommended)
    - 16:9 compatible camcorder for capture of 16:9 video

Honestly, if you are going to do video editing you'll need some more horsepower under the hood. The better system you can scrounge up, the faster everything will become, you'll get a lot more done, and you won't be burdened with slow file openings, encodings, decodings, and so on...

Video editing is very intensive and requires lots of CPU and RAM, as well as disk space. I know personally I've used between 20 and 30 GB on some videos, before compression.. and that is space I needed.

But if you are only doing 2MB files... I wonder why it is taking so long.

Give one of those trials a go and see if you are getting similar results.
    Last edited by Big Booger; March 13th, 2005 at 14:21 PM.

Thanks mate, as I suspected my system does lack a bit of horsepower. I have also heard that moviemaker isn't that great so will look at other options.

Thanks