Thread: A64 project start

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

A64 project start

Well I finnally broke down and bought some upgrade ram to carry over to my future AMD64 system.I purchased 1GB PC3200 Crucial Ballistic which will work in my NForce2 Asus A7N8X board now.Pretty darn expensive @$220.I'm going to get a socket 939 board but not with pci express.I need some help deciding on the Asus A8V Deluxe or the Abit AV8 Pro.Both boards are about the same price but I haven't been able to find any side by side comparisons.The prices of A64's cpu has been dropping pretty quick so I think I'll wait a few months so I can at least get a A64 3500+.I wonder which core for these processors is the fastest?Winchester,Hammer,Clawhammer,Newcastle,Sledgehammer,did I miss any?AMD used to be so cheap and simple,but I'm still a die hard fan.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    It all depends on what your looking for ?

If your going to OC and try for the highest levels then stick with Nvidia Nforce 3/4 boards.

If your looking for nice stable system with a mild or no OC then all the boards are good, pick the one that cost the least and has the options you want.

The Asus A8V Deluxe and Abit AV8 Pro are about the same, you can be a fanboy, flip a coin or pick the one that has the prettiest colors.

All the MB's have their ups & downs, none are perfect.

The Newcastle chips are the older design 0.13Micron cores, they run fine and OC well in most cases.

The Winchester chips are the newer design 90 nm cores, have less wattage (cooler/lower v-core) but the latest stepping are said not to OC as well as the earlier ones.

Newcastle & Winchester have 512KB L2 cache and Clawhammer and Sledgehammer have 1mb L2 cache.

I know your an experienced PC'er, choose what you feel comfortable with thats in your budget.

Since Clawhammer is 1mb L2 cache then this must be a misprint,right? AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail (limit 5 per customer)

Specification
    Model: AMD Athlon 64
    Core: Clawhammer
    Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz
    FSB: Integrated into Chip
    Cache: L1/64+64KB; L2/512K
    Voltage: 1.5V
    Process: 0.13Micron
    Socket: Socket 939
    Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
    Packaging: Retail Box (Heatsink and Fan included)

From New Egg(above)

Also,is there an advantage of 939 socket over 754?It seems that there are more 754 cpu's with 1mb L2 cache,which I would think have the speed advatage.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Yes 'misprint'

Also,is there an advantage of 939 socket over 754?It seems that there are more 754 cpu's with 1mb L2 cache,which I would think have the speed advatage.
    939 has on chip dual memory controlier, 754 has single. The 939 will OC the FSB with large amount of ram better than the 754. 1gig of ram in the 939 is two seperate banks of 512mb so the dual controlier is working 512mb which isn't much of a stress. In the 754 even though you have two banks of 512mb=1gig the single memory controlier is working it as one bank, 1gig is alot of stress so its harder to get the FSB as high as the 939.

1gig of ram is where the 754 starts having trouble (maybe) 512mb and less and the 754 can pretty much hang with the 939 on the FSB end.

@stock speeds the dual channel on the 939 has a slight advantage over the single channel 754 in performance, nothing you'd notice unless you run a benchmark.

The 1mb cache vs the 512kb ? the 1mb cache cpu defaults at a lower MHZ because the extra cache gets hot...only a few programs take advantage of the extra cache so its not really a big deal, even in performance.

Thanks for the info FG.I'll be buying the motherboard next and researching for a good stable board with o'cing capabilities.When the ram comes in I will install it in my A7N8X board to try the dual channel mode out.According to Crucial Ballistic is compatible with both AV8 and A8V as well as my present mobo.I'm sure I will see an increase in performance in the NForce2 if it works.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Good luck with the upgrades! I've focused my upgrades on my car this time. Got half of it repainted, just got HID's and I'm waiting on my front mount intercooler.

I have everything ordered to build my A64.Have,so far,Abit AV8 mobo,Crucial Ballistic 2x512 pc3200,new radeon 9700 pro.WD 80GB SATA HDD,Thermaltake Venus 12 Heatsink,and A64 3000 Winchester will be arriving in about 7 days.I'll be swapping out my Lian Li P60 case.My Asus A7N8x board and components will find a new home in an older,but solid Enlight case.I've heard alot of good things about the A64 3000 cpu's.Some are overclocking at 2.4GHZ.I waited till today when I saw the price drop to $113 at Monarch Computer.Price Watch lists that processor at $149 but when you use their link the price is $113.