Thread: Better spyware/adware programs ??

Better spyware/adware programs ??

"Sunbelt Software's CounterSpy and Webroot's Spy Sweeper caught and cleaned more than 80 percent of adware and spyware infections and finished well ahead of the competition."

This was from a test of 7 spyware programs in the $20-40 range.

Here's the link:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,119572,00.asp
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Strangely enough I have always used SpySweeper but I wouldn't say it was great - I just paid for it so I thought I'd persevere with it. 80% - that means 2 out of every 10 are completely undetected, still sound good? If an antivirus claimed a 80% detection rate of in-the-wild virii nobody would buy it.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

I hear what you're saying but is the cup half full or half empty? 2 missed out of 10 is 8 bits of protection out of 10. I can't say how PCWorld would have fared if they had run their test 3 or 4 times with different "spies/ads" but it was at least an independent measure. On your other point it seems to me I've read some positive reports on viruses being caught though I can't point to any hard evidence. Might browse through the post called "Virus Scans are widely recommended re such. Why?" in the System Security Forum

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    LOL, this only further cements the need for multiple anti-CRAP programs, spybot+adware+spysweeper etc... wumply, i would be concerned with missing 2 out of 10... remember it only takes 1 trojan to open your computer WIDE open and stealing your passwords/ pin numbers/ credit card details... then you'll be on the street bumming for coins !!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well, you have a good point. I do have Adaware (though the last 2 times I ran it it would not complete--it brought up a Visual Basic (I think) runtime error.) Any ideas on that other than uninstall/reinstall? I also have Spybot and SpySubtract from Intermute (free versions). My credit card # is not stored on my computer and is only entered on https sites.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    its good that you are taking precautions then.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Multi-layered protection is the best thing that we can rely on to protect ourselves and our systems. It may not be perfect but it's all we can do.

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Multi-layered protection is the best thing that we can rely on to protect ourselves and our systems. It may not be perfect but it's all we can do.
    FACT!