Thread: whats the difference between windows xp x64 and normal windows xp?

whats the difference between windows xp x64 and normal windows xp?

whats the difference between windows xp x64 and normal windows xp?

anyone know?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    winxp 64. is the xp version for the new 64bit cpus. this version is compatible with 32bit applications and games but as far as old 16 bit software I think you're out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    winxp 64. is the xp version for the new 64bit cpus. this version is compatible with 32bit applications and games but as far as old 16 bit software I think you're out of luck.
    but is it any faster than normal windows xp?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chewEboy
    but is it any faster than normal windows xp?
    In essence it should be the same... since XP 64 is written using 64 bit instructions, and the x64 cpu's can read 64 bit instructions...

However, there may be increased efficiency with 64 bit instructions since theoretically, it would only take 1 64bit to do 2x32 bit instructions

However, that is rarely the case, as these first 64 extensions are more for memory addressing limitation issues etc etc but it might be better for 32 bit apps... like new a64 CPU run 32 bit apps better than AMDXP... since newer 32 bit architecture design, they were able to optimise some settings etc so makes it better...

I think it would be a couple more generations of CPUs and OS versions before developers and designers get their head around new instructions

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

i am running x64 on an AMD 3000+ (939) and it is deffinetly faster than x86 windows but there are some bugs. The main draw back is not being able to find drivers for hardware that is not like a video card or something.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    good insight beelzebub, what hardware will XP x64 natively detect? printer / scanner ? what doesnt it detect?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

xp 64 is for amd and intel 64 bit computers you can run 32 bit windows on these new computers but you wont get the full benefits of 64bit computing