Thread: Computer Keeps restarting

Computer Keeps restarting

Hi, I am having trouble every time I boot up my computer. Every time it's about to start it restarts for no apparent reason and takes me to a black screen which say, "We oplogize for the incomvenience but Windows did not start sucessfull." Then gives me these options: Start windows normally, start windows with i'ts last working configuration, safe mode, and safe mode with networking. If i the first two it will keep restarting.I have not installed any new hardware or software. If any one has a solution to this I will be really thankfull.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Assuming you have windows XP, press F8 on startup to get to a boot menu, select Safe mode... it will display a list of drivers that are being loaded into windows... look at it carefully and if the PC restarts remember which file it stopped at ie AGP440.sys etc etc

If you get into windows, then you should be able to run spyware and anti-virus programs and do a full system scan... you might be able to do a checkdisk/scandisk and defrag etc...

Hi and welcome to Techzonez as well

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well it doesnt restart when i go into safe mode and i ran my anti-virus and spyware programs and nothing came up. The restart happens i try to boot up normaly, when the green loading bar is moving (Home Edition). How would i do a checkdisk/scandisk and defrag?

Thanks for the welcome

Bronze Member
    I had this problem a while ago and it turned out to be a Virus which my Norton was not picking up right away. There are some specific virus/worm removal tools, in SP2 and the Norton site has some as well. Might not hurt to run them.

Make sure your RAM/Processor timings aren't too fast if you're an overclocker

If you can get into safe mode ok then there is something in startup causing your computer to reboot.

use the msconfig tool to narrow down what's causing your computer to restart.

here is a link to some instructions on how to use msconfig

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Just had this problem for the second time around, I know I had to uncheck the "Automatically restart" option to get the errors so that I could research them. ( I ended up here asking questions anyhow!) Found that the issue was hardware, it was a bad RAM stick. Other instance of looping was from video. Scan your hard drive then check your RAM