Thread: Heatsink problem?

Heatsink problem?

I searched around the forums and couldn't quite find a situation like mine.. I got a Gigabyte GA-7n400s-l and a Thermaltake Silent Boost 1889A Heatsink fan to use on my AMD XP 3200+. Recently I noticed that my computer has been running about 130F and on my other motherboard it ran 100F. I applied some Dynex Silver Compound the other day and it brought it down to 117 but quickly went back up to 130 in about 20 mins...I've put two different kinds of paste on the cpu.....and both show same results. I thought I had the heatsink on backwards, but when I reversed it and started up my computer, it quickly shut off so I assume that was the backward direction. I have since ordered a Gigabyte heatsink fan.....

so could the heatsink be the problem? How can I tell which direction to put my next fan on if that was the case on this one?
    Last edited by blueman04; March 19th, 2005 at 04:44 AM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Would it be possible for you test the CPU and Heatsink and fan on another PC?? otherwise not sure.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I don't think any of your components would be working once you reached 100 C. Maybe it's Fahrenheit?

my apologies, it was F not C lol. I bought another fan...still running at around 50C

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman04
    my apologies, it was F not C lol. I bought another fan...still running at around 50C
    WHEEEEEEEW!
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.