Thread: windows xp won't recognize hard drive

windows xp won't recognize hard drive

hi just installed the maxtor 300 gb hard drive ultra ata/133
    My bios recognizes it but windows xp won't what should I do?
    Sig removed.

Please read the Forum Rules

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar
    have you tryed looking in ctrl panel and looking into administrative tools, then computer management, their it shoudl show if not go to add hardware in ctrl panel, and look for it that way, it should detect it then, you'll have partiton each drive in 120 gig bits since xp can see anythign bigger then that,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

tried both methods didn't work.....thanks anyway
    Sig removed.

Please read the Forum Rules

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I was going to suggest same advice as SW... ensure LBA or large disk is set in BIOS, ensure you have Service Pack 2 installed, check if there is any BIOS updates for you motherboard... see if there is a windows update hotfix for ultralarge harddrives... otherwise, not sure... previous max size was 127Gb... i think the next largest size is 400+Gb so you should be fine...

Next bet might be to use some Partitioning tools and just make serveral 100Gb partitions...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    if u dont have it partioned it wont show up in my computer...so if u have a windows xp disk just boot with a cd create a partion on it but dont format it just exit out of it after you creat a partion...or more than one as the other suggested...then boot into windows and u should see them in my computer then u right click on them and format them