Thread: detecting USB drive in My Computer

detecting USB drive in My Computer

My USB drive has been working fine until recently, when i plug it in, there is no removable disk drives appear in the My Computer. In the system tray though, there is an icon for the "safely remove removable disk" option though. The situation has been like this since my friends used my usb port to charge his mp3 player. Is this the reason why my usb port is problematic?

I have tried with other USB ports, and all of them fails. Can anyone gives me suggestion on how to tackle this situation? My PC is running on Windows XP SP1, intel mainboard with 8 usb ports, and my USB drive is Kingston DataTraveler 256 MB.

Thanks in advanced..

I have a flash drive unit that exhibited the same symptoms a few months back. I sent the manufacturer's tech support an email explaining the problem. Quickly received an email stating that the drive had died. The email also contained return procedure. About 10 days later I received a new one in the mail.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    yeah doesnt sound good... your friend should have used a powered usb hub to charge battery and it trys to pull to much power through USB host chips, which can damage it... you have either damaged motherboard controller or your Flash device... try your Memory drive in another computer and see if it works...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I have tried my USB drive in another pc and it works. So i have a damaged USB controller on my mainboard? Is is that there is actually only one USB controller even though i have 8 usb ports? Is it possible to replace the USB controller on the mainboard?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Try the USB device in each of your 8 ports see if it works... usually there is only 1 USB controller (built-in into chipset), however, you may be lucky to have a second controller, usually used for Front Case USB or add-in expansion Slots... hopefully you have 2 USB ports on a separate host...

Test it out... next step would be to try a different USB device on your USB ports... if that works, if it doesnt then you have cooked the controller... they cant be fixed... you will need to buy a USB PCI add-in card.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---