Thread: XP Won't recognize my DVD & CD Rom drives

Bronze Member

XP Won't recognize my DVD & CD Rom drives

For some reason, Windows XP, decided this morning that it would not recognize my DVD Drive (drive D) and my CD Rom drive (drive E). Therefore, all programs that use these drives, NERO for example, cannot access disks on the drives. I can’t run any games either in which the game disk is required to be in the drive. Or any programs at all that involve putting a disk in the drive. It is as if the drives don’t exist.

When I call up “My Computer” XP identifies my two hard drives and my A Drive but nothing else.

I’ve run virus scans and that has not turned up anything. The last time this happened I took my PC to a service center and the tech, fixed it right in front of me, it took about 5 minutes. I am guessing that this is a simple fix, whatever it may be.

I don’t know what caused this other than, I recently (oops………) removed some old registry keys associated with games that were no longer installed on my machine.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    Halder

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    If you boot into your bios do they show up ?

Go to Device Manager> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and uninstall the Secondary IDE controller and reboot.

Check the IDE cable, unplug and reconnect, make sure the power connectors are ok.
    Last edited by FastGame; March 18th, 2005 at 13:31 PM.

Bronze Member

Thanks FastGame

Thanks FastGame, your advice helped me identify the problem.

Halder