Thread: Motherboard won't detect my video card

Motherboard won't detect my video card

Howdy all, I just recently sorta rebuilt my older computer by getting a new motherboard in it and a new video card. I now have an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard and a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. And the mobo won't detect my video card at all, any suggestions? Running XP btw. Thanks.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Hi Romial,welcome to Techzonez.By saying that your mobo won't detect your card do you mean that your montor stays black when you start the machine?I so try reseating the card in the AGP slot.If the post is not recognizing it then go into bios and try switching your Primary VGA bios setting to AGP,it may be set to PCI or visa versa.There could be more solutions to this but lets start here.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

No, I'm using it now, but otherwise it won't detect it. If I right click on the desktop and hit propterties then Settings, then Advanced, nothing shows up for the adaptor.

Well I got it so it's reading the card now, but it says it's 9700 Pro instead of 9600 Pro, the one I have. Anyone know how to get it to 9600 Pro?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    but it says it's 9700 Pro instead of 9600 Pro, the one I have. Anyone know how to get it to 9600 Pro?
    Why would you want a 9600 pro when you have a 9700 pro ?

Is that card used or new ?

Hi,if you installed the drivers and control panel that came with your vid card then properties is where you would look for the ATI drivers listing and the control panel menu.If it says you have a 9700 I agree with Fastgame,you have a much better card that you thought,so leave it in or send it to me and I will exchange it for a 9600 card(j/k).
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Banned
    I supose u got a instalation cd 4 that graphic card so if it does not auto detect, then.... i guess u should do it manualy

Quote Originally Posted by lankan_man
    I supose u got a instalation cd 4 that graphic card so if it does not auto detect, then.... i guess u should do it manualy
    WindowsXP will install it's signed drivers for your card by auto detection but you can get the latest whole package of drivers with the control panel on the ATI website.There all free.

Here is the link.The Catalyst version 5.3 is what you want.Catalyst 5.3(29mb)
    Last edited by zipp51; March 20th, 2005 at 02:41 AM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    another mystery solved.....way to go guys.....