My win2k system has been remarkably stable for the last 2 years, but suddenly I am having problems.

I need to figure out whether it is a hardware or a software problem. I have been running the windows supplied backup program monthly for a couple of years and then storing the Backup.bkf file on an external USB2 hard drive.

Started my monthly routine yesterday and just after responding to the question about whether or not to overwrite the old data (probably 4-5 seconds into backup) screen goes darb and I get a "No Sync" error message on dark screen - followed by a reboot.

It sticks in the back of my mind that win2k tracks what interrupt causes the reboot somewhere, but I can't seem to find anything about it. I need to know if it is a hardware or software problem.

Question - does win2k track and log this stuff? If so, how can I check it out?

I suspect a new software package called Folder Lock. I contacted their tech support, but nothing yet. (Folder Lock applies security to individual folders).
They have a special process to unlock all folders prior to backup - which I have used.

Am I right about win2k leaving footprints somewhere - or did I imagine that?

Tom