Thread: Having issue with Wi-Fi card

Having issue with Wi-Fi card

I have a D-Link wifi card for my desktop. installed the included software, and then installed the card. instructions said to run the packaged software to configure the card. the software would never run..... the card works some of the time, but after the computer has been on for a while, it won't connect anymore. Windows still says it's connected, but no programs can utilize the connection, they all say it's disconnected. when you click 'repair' in the connection properties window, it says 'disabling network adapter' and never proceeds from there. last night after waiting like 10 minutes for it to change, i said to hell with it, and told it to shut down.... when i got up this morning, the computer still said it was waiting for windows to shut down.. 7-8 hours later!!

anybody know how to fix it ?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    pull the power plug?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

i know how to turn the computer off ! :P

i want to know how to prevent the wifi card from disconnecting on it's own, and being a pain in my butt.

Silver Member
    if u have any extra added in firewalls from programs that u installed that m,ay be the problem...had the same problem here some gay firewall from road runner...deleted it everything worked fine u may try that....just disable it though dont delete it

Ok... what version of windows do you have? XP SP2? Do you have windows firewall enabled? Do you have third party firewall or internet security package? You have a DLINK wifi card, which model number?

Did the DLINK software come with diagnostic software? are you able to check the condition of the card etc etc... Double check that the PCI card is slotted in correctly and the external antenna is plugged in properly, behind the desk it can sometimes be bumped out...

Does windows detect the wifi card, ie in control panel, hardware devices? even when it says the connection is broken?

Were there prequisites for the dlink configuration program, ie does it need .NET framework 1.1, or other apps?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Were there prequisites for the dlink configuration program, ie does it need .NET framework 1.1, or other apps?

xp, sp2.. windows firewall off, have a mcafee firewall... i have the d-link airplus extreme G DWL-G520 wireless PCI adapter.
    came with software.. installed it b4 installing the card, but have never been able to run the program it came with to configure the card..... windows detects the card b/c it works...... but at night usually 3-4 times a week, it won't be online even though windows says everything is still connected and working fine....... if you hit repair connection, the it says 'disabling network adapter' and never proceeds from there. it never says the connection is broken.& no pre-req's that i'm aware of

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    i would uninstall the software remove the NIC card from control panel >>add/remove harware then shut down take the card out and reboot. When its rebooted shut down again and replace the card. Boot up and when it finds new hardware point to the cd's driver folder and install it. I dont think you would need the software just to use a network connection. Once it is installed trie to ping your router or do a TRACERT to www.techzonez.com to see if you have a good connection. also if you hover your mouse over the connection in the taskbar should tell you if you have a strong signal. One thing no one asked is how far is it from the access point, repeater, router. Is there any walls in the way. Is the house very old. Because I know with older sheet rock it sometimes lowers the signal. also you can try going to a CLI and type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew if you have dhcp enabled in your router.

Also, interference... do you have a microwave oven near the router or PC, or other 'Radio' device that you run at night time??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---