Thread: Card Reader won't work on XP

Card Reader won't work on XP

I have an Apacer Mega Steno MG820 5 in 1 card reader that has been working fine until recently. After having a fault with an external USB hard drive, all of the drive assigments in XP for the card reader disappeared. If I uninstall the device from the device manager, physically unplug it, restart XP and plug it back in, XP makes that "bing bong" noise like it has recognised the device (and that other bing bong noise when I pull it out), but the drive assignments do not return, and I cannot access any card that is inserted into the reader. I know XP can be a real pig when it wants to, so how do I get it to fully recognise the device and reassign all the drive letters? (normally, XP assigns a separate drive letter to each of the 5 slots in the device, which correspond to the 5 kinds of media it will read). Help!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Is this the only USB device that doesn't work ?

Did you try another USB port ?

Try to reinstall the USB drivers for your MB ?

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) No - how might I go about doing that? I also have a Brother multifunction printer attached to my computer that has a 5 in 1 card reader built into it. Unlike the Apacer unit, it only shows as one drive (L), not 5 different ones. I am concerned that if I remove all the drivers (from device manager?) that it will screw up the Brother as well. Your thoughts?

Further to this thread, I decided to do an "over install" of XP Pro on my machine. I noted with interest that just before the machine restarted itself after the install, I could see all the different drive numbers allocated to the card reader. After the restart, they all "disappeared". How can that be? Is there something in the system that can "hide" drive letters? I would rather like to sort this mystery out. Help please!!