Thread: ASUS K8N-E Deluxe

ASUS K8N-E Deluxe

Hi:New to this site, hoping you can tell me if anybody has had difficuty getting this mobo to fire up. This is the second board I've tried. The hardware is as follows : 80 Gig Western Digital caviar HDD Eide wd800jb, !gig kingston ram 512x2, CPU AMD 64 socket 754 3000+, Plextor px712a DVD burner drive, Sony # 1/2 fdd, Nvidia geforce2 fz 5200 video card, PSU rosewill 500 watt mdl 500e bk. Usual ATX case with 3 cooling fans. Well if there are conflicts in hardware would appreciate help here..Thanks so much BigG416

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Shouldn't be any problems, is that Kingston ram listed as compatible with your MB ?

What exactly is the problem your having ? won't boot ? crashes ?

Thank u for reply: The Kingston ram is listed in the installation manual for this MOBO. The 1st MOBO never fired up, returned ASUS which sent me another board, which fired for 20-30 minutes then died and has remained that way. I talked to ASUS who felt it was CPU overheat, Which I then replaced CPU and fan retail combo from AMD direct. Still board will not fire. At this point returned board ASUS for them to determine board condition and repair status. I've built 5 PC's using A socket type boards no problem till this 754 socket thing. thanks again "pops" aka BigG416

Silver Member
    maybe bad psu since it wont fire up anymore after u had it on for 20-30 mins try returning that...or just try a different one in there that u know works already...if it still wont fire then its prolly psu ive had one burn up on me too

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Sounds like a psu problem but also could be the vid card.If you can try different psu and vid card,that might be a good spot to troubleshoot.Anyone else have any suggestions?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    Sounds like a psu problem but also could be the vid card.If you can try different psu and vid card,that might be a good spot to troubleshoot.Anyone else have any suggestions?
    Hi: have purchased antec 350 watt to replace rosewill 500 watt, Will have to wait a bit to purchase new video card, I am partial to nvidia card. Just received replacement ASUS MOBO. from ASUS today they replaced board for second time, I just wish they would tell me if they found problems with returned boards. It would be alot easier knowing where the conflict or weakness in this setup is. Thanks again your advice. I'm running 2100+ machines before I decided to upgrade, should have stayed with A socket mobo. Instead of going 64 AMD 754 socket. I did hear that ASUS has had problems with their AMD 64 boards and that aBIT is better with 64 AMD. Well enough from this long winded old man...thanks again "POPS"

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Shouldn't be any problems, is that Kingston ram listed as compatible with your MB ?

What exactly is the problem your having ? won't boot ? crashes ?
    Thanks your reply. ASUS MOBO didn't fire up at all, returned ASUS who sent another MOBO which ran for 20-30 Minutes and died never to fire up again Returned ASUS they are sending another replacement. I wish ASUS would test boards and give one a recap as to MOBO status. Suggestions are to replace PSU which I did with third Rosewill 500watt. Thinking maybe MOBO doesn't like Rosewill just purchased Antech 350 watt, to use with next ASUS MOBO when it arrives. Any suggestions? appreciated thanks "POPS" aka bigg416

Man sounds like you are having alot of problems there.from the sound of it,something seems to be shorting out the mobo.Have you double checked to make sure all connections are correct and that none are lose or damaged?also check all the screws that hold the MOBO in the case to make sure they are properly inserted and tightened.Ive had problems in the past with MOBO's not starting due to the screws not being properly inserted and tightened.good luck.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Before you mess with things you should make sure your grounded, doesn't take much static electricty to kill electronics.

I surf most of the major hardware forums daily, one thing I notice is a high rate of failure during the winter months....winter= low humidity= static electricity.

I always install the CPU, HSF and Ram before I put the MB in the case. Place the MB on a rubber pad (or towel) on a hard surface (table) and install these items. This will insure you don't crush the circuit traces around the CPU & Ram sockets. Some of the HSF and ram take some force to install, with the MB in the case this will flex the board and.....you get the idea

As bhxtyrant suggest make sure all the standoffs are installed and no extras.

If the new MB fails I'd be looking at that CPU or ram.