Thread: RAM, how much difference does it make

RAM, how much difference does it make

if you bought the wrong model specifically for your motherboard?
    What i mean is, at the computer show a year ago, bought all my parts and then 512 Kingston RAM. Talking to Kingston they told me i got the wrong RAM for my motherboard and told me to get this one...KVR333X64C25K/512.
    The difference between the one i got and this might be minute.
    The model numbers are slightly different but everything else seems to be fine, in terms of it running and what not.
    Should I buy 2 sticks of RAM that was intended for my motherboard and get rid of the one i have now, or just buy another 512 of the right RAM and not worry too much about it...?
    Just wondering if it really makes that much difference, thanks guys.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    If your system isn't having issues don't worry about it....Dell does the same thing or tries to with the memory for their systems...no need to discard what your using. if you plan on buying more memory just get another 512 stick of the same, u should be ok.

You didn't specify motherboard and memory type. Regardless, you should rest easy. If it is working you have nothing to worry about.

General rule:
    The industry will recommend that you match CPU, MB, and memory. That would mean matching a MB with 200/266/333 FSB capability with a AMD Barton class CPU and PC2700 memory. If you follow this format, you won't have to worry about a possible conflict with these important components. You can deviate from this standard as long as you know what to expect and there is a possibility that something might not work. You can usually step down to Duron and Athlon Thunderbird CPU. The computer is also likely to run without problems, utilizing PC2100 thru PC3200 memory or maybe even higher. If the memory is rated faster than the MB's FSB, it will automatically step down to the appropriate speed.

As long as your computer is doing the job without blue screens or reboots, "enjoy".

PS: If you can't stand it and just have to buy the Kingston recommended memory send your old memory to me. I can always find a machine that it will thrive in.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

efc, even tho' most of what you said was in a foreign language to me, i got the jist of it...lol
    as for absolutely giving up my RAM for the proper one(s), im gonna have to pass, i gotta watch where my money is going now...but ill keep the offer in mind, in case it needs a good new home
    also, you're right my MB is capable of going a bit faster, but it doesnt because of the RAMs capacity in terms of speed, but it's been good so far.

Guess I didn't make myself clear. I agree with Piper. Since it is working, don't worry about it.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition