Thread: Quick Firewall Question

Bronze Member

Quick Firewall Question

As per my previous threads, I know that I need to get SP2 installed to prevent hacker attempts.

However, just out of curiosity, if XP is installed bare (original edition, prior to SP1 and SP2) and one has an up to date firewall program installed, then do you really need any of Microsofts security updates at all.

I know that Service Packs offer program fixes as well, but in terms of pure PC protection, wouldn't a good firewall program be better than downloading countless MS security updates?

Thanks in advance for your expertise and feedback on this question
    Halder.

A firewall does not block all attacks only port attacks. Many attacks will be delivered through your browser and email programs and even through programs you wouldn't suspect like Media Player. Recently there was an exploit discovered which can be delivered through a malformed favourites icon. The updates address vulnerabilities in the system in all of these areas and also sometimes completely overhaul the security stance of the OS. Best to get them because the time between a vulnerability being found and a worm, adware, trojan or virus appearing with that exploit code is getting shorter and shorter.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Bronze Member
    Thanks Curio, that is good for me to know.

Halder