Thread: disk error

disk error

i have a laptop running xp, and i just got a new digital camera, so i was trying to download the software. i popped the cd in my drive, and it keeps spinning trying to read it, but spinning too much like it can't. then I get the error saying: "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows."

I don't use the cd drive much, but I used it a couple weeks ago and it was fine. And it's not just this cd either, I tried a couple others and they won't work either....

Help would be much appreciated.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I would try a lens cleaner to start with. If that doesn't work then post back and we'll diagnose further.

You can also goto the camera manufacuter's website and download the lastest drivers there minus any included software.

OK I just got a laser lens cleaner, and popped it in twice. It says to push play for a cd, but I don't have a cd player on this computer, just real player and windows media. I put it in once, it ran through sounding like it was dying, popped it out, put it back in, same thing. Then tried digital camera software and it didn't work.... Am I doing it wrong or anything?

And I did download all the drivers and stuff, and it doesnt work.

How old is the CD drive?

it's a laptop, the laptop is about 5 years old......

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie
    it's a laptop, the laptop is about 5 years old......
    The CD drive is at the end of its life then. Try to look for a replacement or external cd writer and use that instead.

Thanks very much, I was afraid of that....

I've never done anything internally with a laptop before, is it difficult? Should it be avoided at all costs?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    So this CD drive doesn't work with any CD's ?

Actually, it is not very difficult. You can just pop the old drive out easily and replace it.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Nope, no cds.

I was a little optimistic about it, because I found this link: http://www.driverforum.com/cdrom5/12442.html
    but it doesn't seem to be working. :S

Sounds like you have two issues:

1) CD drive is bad

2) Unable to load new camera software onto 5yr. old laptop running XP

Here are my suggestions:

1) Don’t worry about. If this is causing you to lose sleep at night I highly suggest looking at a new laptop. You can get a new laptop for $500 that will run rings around your current setup. Also, for non-techies, finding a replacement internal laptop cd drive is expensive and a pain. Your time is better spent going to the dentist :P...

2) Buy a USB memory card reader instead of hooking up the camera to the laptop
    * USB card readers are cheap under $30
    * Require no drivers to install (XP usually knows what to do)
    Finally my favorite reason
    ****Your not loading new digital camera software onto a 5 yr. old laptop which is a bad idea to begin with.***

Depending on your brand of camera Kodak, Sony ect... you’ll need to make sure you buy the correct reader. Example: If you use CompactFlash card you will need a Card reader that supports CompactFlash.

I already bought a memory card reader. that solved my problem there. there are 4 computers in this house, and not to hog this forum with my issues, but none of them work right.... so i had to get a reader...

i have another issue but not one that anyone can solve. I usually run ubuntu, but long story, i had to put on XP, the only xp cd i have is an upgrade that needs activation, and it's a one time activation thing, and the cd was given to me, so therefore, i have to reformat every 30 days... and i'm on 5 days right now, and i cant very well reformat when my cd drive isnt working. so it looks like i'll be stuck without a laptop until i either: a) work up the guts to try and replace the drive (i'm very weary of opening up my laptop.. not that i can ruin it anymore than it already is) or b) that i replace it.. which wont be for at least a few months...

thanks all for your help...
    Last edited by stephanie; March 26th, 2005 at 00:38 AM.