Thread: Remote Shutdown Problems

Remote Shutdown Problems

It seems that some people at my school find it very amusing to shutdown one another's computers remotely using the 'shutdown -i' command and then browsing and adding my computer. Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to abort this if they set the time until shutdown to 0. I even created a batch program that continuously ran the 'shutdown -a' command. I thought this would work, but it says when they shutdown my computer a lot of error messages just pop up saying something like 'Can not run, windows is shutting down' or something of that sort. Any one know of a solution to this? I didn't know if it should go in this forum or the security forum, but since it is on a network, just thought it would fit better here.

By the way, my batch program looks like this:

:begin
    shutdown -a
    goto begin
    Signed,

Jake Boren

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Are you sure its your friends, or could it be a virus?

Anyway, you could ask them nicely not to 'attack' your computer? or remove your comp from network, or install a personal software firewall?

Firstly, though I would go talk to your teacher or IT administrator person, and let them know of this remote shutdown capability... there should be a setting on the server to disable that feature

Just for fun, you could run this file on their laptops... just remove the .zip

H4X0R

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks for your advice cash_site. Since no one is using a laptop, and they are all school computer in a class room, I think I am just going to use CACLS on the command prompt and restrict normal users...anyone know how to make a change like this to all computer over a network without going from computer to computer?

By the way, the people heading the computers department will not mind, because it is a very low security place, and the normal user has most rights that an administrator has...just thought I would mention that.
    Signed,

Jake Boren

This looked like an interesting subject, so my son and I decided to test it last night. We could not get it to work on our home network which is behind a router.

My son is currently taking an introduction to networking class at our local community college. He came home this afternoon and stated that he had shut down twenty-two computers on the class network. That network was built using multiple hubs. He was not successful however, in shutting down the computers in the lab next door. He could see those computers and access public files on them however, he could not shut them down.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition