Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get connected???

Can't get connected???

I have just set up 3 pc's in my office... 2 desktops and 1 laptop...

The laptop and 1 desktop are working fine and are fully functional...

My problem is with the 2nd desktop... I have installed XP Home and cannot get a connection to the internet... I am able to send and receive packets, and find no conflicts with any of my hardware... I am able to repair the connection but still no avail... This desktop is identical to the one that is working... I havent done anything different to this desktop that I havent done to the one that is working...

Any suggestions from anyone on where to start?

when you say 'my office', is it your home office? do you connect to the net through a cable modem? if it is, and you do, have you unplugged the cable modem and let it sit unplugged for at least two minutes then restart it? this worked for me to have the modem recognize my second desktop. i'm still trying to find in xp what command is run to get to the ip address so it can be renewed. in win98, it was winipcfg, but that doesn't work in xp. best regards. ~s

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
    - Aldous Huxley

No by office I mean my "Office"... we have 2 servers and I don't know how many PC's???

But what I can't understand is that I didn't do anything special to the 2 other machines... just plugged them into the workgroup switch (lynksys) and presto! I had a connection... I am actually using the other desktop to write this now... I just don't understand why the other one is giving me trouble???

i'm no networking genius, like some of these other guys, but, since you have two identical pc's, one networking and the other not, power em both up and go to start --> settings --> control panel --> network connections and compare settings. that's a starting point until some of the nw guru's sign on here.... sorry i can't be more help. ~s

I haven't failed, I've found ten thousand ways that don't work.
    - Ben Franklin

I appreciate your help... but I've actually already tried that... even when I match the settings it won't connect... I can still send and receive packets but no connection to the internet???... very very frustrating!!!

can you tell me exactly what your screen is when you attempt to log to the net? is it a 'cannot find page' error, message 404?, does it hang intermminably, then say that it cannot find server? ~s

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    - Harry S. Truman

Basic Network Connection Troubleshooting Guide TCP/IP

Unless otherwise stated you do all these from a command prompt

First have the relevant data of your network to hand - what is the default gateway, ip range, dhcp server, DNS server, workgroup/domain name.

1. Ping 127.0.0.1 - this tests the stack is implemented and local TCP/IP works
    2. Ipconfig /all - check the output are the details what they should be according to your relevant data.
    3. Ping your gateway - this checks that you can get data across the network, your gateway is pinged because you then have also checked that you can access the default route to the world.
    4. Tracert www.bbc.co.uk - or any other site that will be permanently up - does it fail and if so where?
    5. nslookup www.bbc.co.uk - or any other site that will be registered on the DNS, DNS is very important so best check a few to be sure.
    6. ipconfig /flushdns - just in case the resolver cache is corrupted.

Theres more but this should pinpoint where you have a problem.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    So does it get a valid IP address or is it within the 169.254.xx.xx range?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    are the other workstations xp pro?
    are you connecting to a workgroup or domain?
    In network connection prop. do you have it to obtain IP address automatically? or are you using static IP's.
    also I've had issues with networking xp home in the past. I know that home is missing some of the security and networking that pro has. and correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think home can connect to a domain so if youre on a domain with your servers then that could be the issue.

You are totally correct. XP Home cannot connect to a domain.

Question XP Home - with a domain

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    You are totally correct. XP Home cannot connect to a domain.
    A colleague just bought a new Dell notebook with XP Home. She will be primarily using it at home. At work we are on a domain. While I understand that XP Home can not join the domain, isn't it possible to at least "see" the network and be able to access her files from her network folders?

(My notebook has XP Pro. I did not "join" the domain but I can still access all my files. )

Thanks,
    Charlie

No, she will not be able to access her work files if they are on her work/domain share.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    could remotely log into the domain using a vpn connection.

You mean natively or thru a 3rd party utility phish?

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Some VPN clients can be configured to validate/authenicate logins via a directory server (like Microsoft's Active Directory). One of our smaller VPNs acutally passed the cached credentials into the protected network. However, their laptops are running XP-Pro and the computers are members of the AD domain. From what I here, the best XP-Home can do is participate in Workgroups, unless there's third party authenication mechanism in use, like a Radius Server.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig