Thread: Why can't I share folders with WinXP Home...

Why can't I share folders with WinXP Home...

I'm using a router to connect the computers to a shared DSL internet connection. I can get to the internet on both machines.

Both machines are on the workgroup, I can actually see them listed in my network places. I can ping the other computer and get a good reply. The issue is when I try to open a shared folder on any machine from the other machine I get an error message about not having permission.

I cannot figure out the issue, thanks for the help. I have attached a few screen captures to show you the situation.

Oh, I should mention that when I explore windows, sometimes the Entire Network icon is not visable, can't figure this out either.
    Last edited by mjrtoo; March 26th, 2005 at 19:50 PM.

Have you allowed File&Printer sharing through the firewall?
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Well, windows XP firewall is off. I do have ZoneAlarm, but have turned that off to try that possibility. I am behind a NAT so there is really no need for a firewall if I don't put a specific address in the DMZ (I have ZoneAlarm for just that circumstance).

It's just so strange that I can ping the boxes but not share anything. Network gaming also does not work.

This issue has me baffled...

Simple file sharing

Make sure you turn off simple file sharing, which under XP Pro is done through Tools>Folder Options>View scroll down to bottom and deselect.

Yes, but I have XP Home....

Do you have mirrored user accounts across each system, although this isn't usually necessary it may be if you have any security tweaks in the registry. Each pc has a 'matt' account for example with the same password - try it.

I thought XP Home used the guest account for all network share stuff. Even though you can turn off the guest account, that only stops it from being shown on the login screen, it still exists for network shares.

I'll give it a shot though.

Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    Do you have mirrored user accounts across each system, although this isn't usually necessary it may be if you have any security tweaks in the registry. Each pc has a 'matt' account for example with the same password - try it.
    Still no luck.

I try the 'Net View' command at the command prompt of the Piii machine and when I enter the IP address of the p4 box, I get 'Error 5 access denied'. But when I do the same on the p4 to the Piii, it works just fine, but I cannot connect to any shared folders on the piii....

May be a corrupted installation on one of the machines - it certainly doesn't make any sense. Normally if you can ping each other and you have the right protocols and clients installed you are good to go. You could try adding the netbios protocol from the installation disk to see if you get any luck, I think it's in the support folder. It is also possible that the router is faulty in some wierd way and is blocking traffic between the PCs but that would just be silly. Could you try a crossover cable between the PCs to rule out the router?

When I do the net view command with the \\192.168.1.102 address (the piii box), I get the shared folder information on the other box. If I do \\piii-933, I get 'System Error 50 has occurred. The network path was not found'.

If I do the net view command with the \\192.168.1.103 address from the piii box to the other box, i get the 'System Error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.'

Sounds like a name resolution error, but now I'm getting beyond my knowledge of networking. Can anyone help?

Sounds like you don't have F+P sharing or the client for MS networks on one of the boxes - guessing the piii box. Make sure you have Client for MS Networks, Protocol TCP/IP and File and Printer Sharing enabled on all the NICs. Internet use doesn't require these services so will work without them, except TCP/IP of course.

Nope, those are all installed. It's totally a permissions thing, but can't figure out why I'm erroring out. I have created accounts on each box for all users, that should be the MAX that you would have to do.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think a corrupted install on the p3 box.

try using the network setup wizard !!! I know its rather lame, but it did the job for me
    The King of all things that aren't to do with Java...

Go Linux!

You run linux, you crash windows!

My Legend of the Green Dragon Server!
    sirjavabean.hyspex.com/lotgd

First thing I tried Mr. Bean

I'm with you on the permissions thing and in XP Home you have friendly sharing by default so shouldn't even need the mirrored accounts. Error 50 is listed as a permissions error as well although it still could be a hardware issue, don't suppose you have any other PCs you could hook up - or a spare HDD?