Thread: hw addition has major changes to system

hw addition has major changes to system

this issue is so extensive i don't know where to focus, so i'm merely going to start off saying what i know has happened and let anyone who want to pick at it, do so. i'm considering fdisk'g the whole hdd and start from scratch again, but i don't really want to do that. so here goes:
    i had built my box a yr ago and the partitions i built it with were as such, with about 15 to 18 gig each:

c: win98 se (fat32)
    d, e, f, g: winxp pro (ntfs)

on boot, system added
    h, i: dvd rom, cd-rw

i also added
    j, k, l, m, n, o: 6 in 1 card reader
    a few weeks ago i added the software for my 20 gig mp3 player, then hooked it up via the usb bus. seems to have added another temp drive letter at that time. now, there are a few quirky things going on, like not being able to open word docs and when i look at the props of my d, e, f, g drives, it displays as bein in fat32 file system. none of the card reader drives appear as drives any longer and i can't use my rw to burn cd's any more. i have lost a ton of space on all partitions, and it appears that all of my e: drive files are now populating all of the partitions. when i try to run defrag, it says i haven't enough memory, but i'm running two 512mb sticks. when i look at my virtual memory, it says it can't run because all of the drives are in compatibility mode. this is a big call for help, but if the concenssus is to nuke it for morbid, i'll not be against that and rebuild from there. let the games begin..... ~s

It requires wisdom to understand wisdom; the music is nothing if the audience is deaf.
    - Walter Lippman

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Have you tried system restore back to the period before you installed the Software for your 20 gig MP3 player?

I'd try that first. See if that corrects this issue. Also run a virus scan, system file check, and be ready to backup data in case you have to hose the entire setup and start over.

mornin, bb. i had just been discussin this with my co-worker and he had suggested that i boot from my norton systemworks disk and see if that helped correct the issue. then, run disc doctor if that was unsuccessful. i would love to run sys restore but i turned it off some time last yr. correct me if i'm wrong, but, doesn't it lose all of its restore points that had been saved, once i disable it? if not, i'll definitely take your advice and go back in time. i don't have anything but a few new url's and quotes since back then that i can live w/o. tx for the word, i'll keep you updated. ~s

Only the brave know how to forgive; it is the most refined and generous pitch of virtue human nature can arrive at.
    - Laurence Stern