Thread: Mouse freezes every 5 seconds!

Mouse freezes every 5 seconds!

Does anyone have a clue as to what is stopping the mouse from moving or generally freezing/stopping every five seconds? Pulled up the running programs and the list is familiar, nothing unusual except I'm watching as at the same time my mouse freezes, the cpu usage goes from 4% to 56%, then 5 seconds later same thing, just repeats itself. Shut down just about everything, thinking it might be virus scanner, thought modem was trying to connect, thought ad watch might be doing it.....seems like something is scanning or attempting to start/looking for something every 5 secs.

Any ideas? Nothing on other than AVG......Adaware with Adwatch.

Thanks,
    Sharon

Have you tryed booting in safe mode to see if the problem still occurs?If it does that can rule out anything to do with most running software.what kind of mouse are you using?optical,wireless,trackball,ect?have you tryed plugging up another mouse to see if it still happens?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Does the mouse have a driver installed? I used to get that with the Logitech mouse driver, it would conflict with my ATI video card's driver.

get a more than half decent virus checker. norton ( ) didn't pick up one that did the same thing to me ( ). i dont know if the virus was designed to stop the cursor, or whether it was just taxing my puny processor every 5 secs.

also, try using a differnet mouse or putting urs in another pc
    The King of all things that aren't to do with Java...

Go Linux!

You run linux, you crash windows!

My Legend of the Green Dragon Server!
    sirjavabean.hyspex.com/lotgd

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    try the simple tasks first..

feed it more cheese.....lol....jk
    try another mouse to see if does the same.
    uninstall (any installed drivers if u have em) and let windows work.
    u can try the safemode thingy but I kinda doubt the need for that, not for the mouse anyway.
    when did the problem start?....what were u doing just before that?...roll back to a restore point if available....just some ideas.

Titanium Member
    Get the little feller a coat!

Or, feed it to the cat and go to the pet store for another one.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I agree on trying another mouse first

Check the mouse settings..under control panel..or try another mouse.

Titanium Member
    the cpu usage goes from 4% to 56%, then 5 seconds later same thing, just repeats itself.
    Perhaps try this. Since this coincides with pointer freeze, click (usually twice to get to top level) the CPU box as shown. It will show you what is using CPU cycles at the moment. Let us know

Last edited by lynchknot; April 15th, 2005 at 17:22 PM.

Titanium Member
    Ok i'm having similar issues with this sony computer. The pointer feels like it's attached to a rubber band. I move the mouse, the pointer is so sluggish - by the time it reaches the side of screen, i'm already at the other side of screen. Does anyone know the exe or whatever so I can increase cpu priority for mouse pointer?

are you sure this is due to a .exe? try installing the software from the disc that came with the mouse. you may do the following as well:

1. "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "Mouse", "Pointer Options" tab, "Motion", "Select a pointer speed"
    2. Enable "Enhance pointer precision"
    Set bar to slowest speed that is fast enough for you as faster speeds skip pixels (move your mouse very slowly to see this.)
    3. "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "Mouse", "Activities" tab
    Set "Double-Click Speed" fast as possible in accordance to your natural double-click speed. (Sometimes two single clicks will be misinterpreted as a double-click because your double-click speed is set too slow. For example, highlight a file by clicking on it, and then start to rename it by clicking on it again. If this setting is too slow, it will open the accidentally.)

Does anyone have a clue as to what is stopping the mouse from moving or generally freezing/stopping every five seconds? Pulled up the running programs and the list is familiar, nothing unusual except I'm watching as at the same time my mouse freezes, the cpu usage goes from 4% to 56%, then 5 seconds later same thing, just repeats itself. Shut down just about everything, thinking it might be virus scanner, thought modem was trying to connect, thought ad watch might be doing it.....seems like something is scanning or attempting to start/looking for something every 5 secs.

Any ideas? Nothing on other than AVG......Adaware with Adwatch.

Thanks,
    Sharon
    hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and go to the 'Processes' tab. see which process is taking up the most CPU power. you may safely ignore SystemIdleProcess though.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adeydas
    are you sure this is due to a .exe? try installing the software from the disc that came with the mouse. you may do the following as well:

1. "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "Mouse", "Pointer Options" tab, "Motion", "Select a pointer speed"
    2. Enable "Enhance pointer precision"
    Set bar to slowest speed that is fast enough for you as faster speeds skip pixels (move your mouse very slowly to see this.)
    3. "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "Mouse", "Activities" tab
    Set "Double-Click Speed" fast as possible in accordance to your natural double-click speed. (Sometimes two single clicks will be misinterpreted as a double-click because your double-click speed is set too slow. For example, highlight a file by clicking on it, and then start to rename it by clicking on it again. If this setting is too slow, it will open the accidentally.)
    I downloaded from logitec site. I don't think I explained well. No matter how fast or slow, when I click a tab, cpu increases for FX - mouse pointer lags. Is there a way to increase cpu priority for mouse pointer?