Thread: New Mobo and Processor

New Mobo and Processor

Hello everybody,

i am new to the forum so....well so now you know....but the real thing is...i am looking to buy a new motherboard, prolly 1G of Ram and a 3.0GHz Intel Pent4 Processor. i have this computer right now, and i want to keep the case and everything and just get those new things. The problem is i dont know how to figure out what type of motherboard will fit in here...i have a Nimitz mircoATX or something(??) but i just need to know how to find out what motherboard would fit in here and then what is a good suggestion for the mobo. thanks all

-dylan

You can measure your motherboard and use those measurements as a guide as to whether the new board will fit. I would think that virutally any microATX board will do.

My question is if you are going to spend as much money as you are on mobo and processorl, why not shop around for a case at the same time. You should be able to get a good case for $40 to $50. If you find it on sale it might be far less.

Also don't overlook barebones computers. You just may find everything you want in a single package.

Places that I like to shop;

www.tigerdirect.com

www.cpusolutions.com/cpusolutions/index.asp?

www.newegg.com/
    Last edited by efc; March 27th, 2005 at 16:28 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

well thats what i was thinking, a new case, but then i thought, why spend 40-50 bucks on something i dont actually need?

Quote Originally Posted by dystrother
    well thats what i was thinking, a new case, but then i thought, why spend 40-50 bucks on something i dont actually need?
    Guess that I didn't say that the way I intended. I was trying to suggest that a part of your shopping goal should include checking the barebones section. You may find one that has everything you are looking for at a similar price. I am just suggesting that you be thorough.

barebones section? sorry i dont understand?

The barebones computer typically consist of case, power supply, motherboard, and cpu. It is the starting place to building the computer you want. Some barebones kits add other components such as memory, HD, or CDRW. Obviously, the price usually goes up when additional components are added. None contain the operating system.

Here is the barebones section (Pentium since you indicated the P4 3000) LINK.

If you are not committed to Pentium, you can usually find better buys with AMD processors. LINK
    Last edited by efc; March 27th, 2005 at 19:13 PM.