Thread: How many hard drives can I put in this thing??

How many hard drives can I put in this thing??

I know I know, it sounds like a stupid question to all you seasoned veterans. I've never had the need for more than two, never had anyone ask me to do it.

But then my husband stumbled upon a high end Nvidia card, 50ft of svideo cable
    and WinMx. Need I say more?

So what do I need to put a few more hard drives in this thing....couple more 250's from Ebay say?

Ok, so I want a whole one for myself just for pics and videos of my kid

Thanks,
    Sharon

Most motherboards have two IDE connections. Each of these are capable of handling two IDE devices. Assuming one of these devices is a CDROM, CDRW, DVD or DVDRW you can have three HDs in the computer with no other hardware required. If you want more you need a separate controller card. Typically, they can handle another four drives.

Another thing you have to watch is the power supply. You might have to step up in size when you add drives.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

You should check with a local computer store to see what options you have. Because some motherboards have two types of connector for drives. Your computer might have the less popularized Serial ATA connector. If this is the case you could get two SATA hard drives instead of an add-on card and two new hard drives. Other wise your option is either to remove your CD/optical drives and use their on-board parallel ATA connector for new hard drives. Or get an add-on card. Typically called a SATA or Parallel ATA controler card.

The above info is correct.Its what i used in my current PC.At the moment i have a DVD drive,and CD writer drive as well as 2 hard drives in my PC.I also got an ad on card called the WinXP Promise ultra 133 TX2 IDE controller which will allow me to add up to 4 more IDE devices.At the moment i have 3 hard drives in there and it works very well.The IDE controller simply plugs into a normal PCI slot so your options are only limited by how many avalible PCI slots you have free and of course your power supply.

You also have the option of external drives via USB2, Firewire and SCSI. You can get plenty of storage attached one way or another - there is also NAS (Network Attached Storage) which is basically a PC with a simplified server program that just shares the disk space to the network. External may be better for you as it usually has it's own power supply and is not dependant on the motherboard BIOS being able to deal with it if done via a PCI adapter card.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    You also have the option of external drives via USB2, Firewire and SCSI. You can get plenty of storage attached one way or another - there is also NAS (Network Attached Storage) which is basically a PC with a simplified server program that just shares the disk space to the network. External may be better for you as it usually has it's own power supply and is not dependant on the motherboard BIOS being able to deal with it if done via a PCI adapter card.
    Yeah I would say external would be a good option. It is portable, easy to install, and works fabulously well. But it is dependent on whether you have USB2.0, Firewire, SCSI connections...

I will warn you, I have two external hard disks, and they are very noisy. I have one that I keep shut off because it is so noisy. I'd really recommend you investing more in the "laptop drive kits" and a large laptop drive. They are smaller, quieter and can somtimes run off the USB power.

This site lists several types of external drives:

http://www.addonics.com/products/external_hdd/#25

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Exclamation raid

or if you need speed or want to raid them with this Raid
    you can load another 4 hds and have them radied without having to spend $300 or more for a raid controller, it may ass the other vets,mods said take a better psu, but hey in a raid config youd have better access times, plus it supports all the ata types from ata 33 to 133, if you dont have sata that is this is a good solution as other vets mods said external is nice but never a quick as internal raid,
    Last edited by shadow_warez; March 28th, 2005 at 12:46 PM. Reason: not completed

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Exclamation cheap proce hdd

foudn a pretty good deal on a hdd its 120 gb not the fastest but in a raid controller it'd be very handy, HDD

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Hmm, yes I agree that external hard drives are a good choice. If you get internals, then really do watch your PS, or else your PS will short out due the higher current flowing through. If you are just storing the files, then you can also burn them to DVDs instead. Its cheaper and you can watch them on your TV too if you set it right.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

As always, thanks guys for your suggestions and advice. Trying a controller card. Just bought a 200 Gig on Ebay.......need the card and I'm good to go.

Can someone post me a link on some info just what RAID is and how it works?

TIA,
    Sharon